scuba job info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...seriously its very difficult to make money at something that others enjoy so much they will do it for free...

So true, so true.
It's like moving to live in a place because it's a wonderful place to live - then discovering that jobs are few and the ones that exist don't pay anything, because so many other people have the same notion. :depressed:

But, depending on your situation - as in, "Are you young without a lot of financial responsibilities?" - there could be worse things than spending a couple years as a pro dive bum, working in exotic locales!
True, the money and working conditions will suck, but still. :wink:

A cautionary note: If you plan to become a working pro underwater, you need to spend a lot of time underwater first. It's got to be darn-near second nature before you start adding work-related tasks, on top of diving skills.

Good luck.

Join the Navy, qualify for UDT. Get out. Look for a job.

looking for advice for any type of jobs a diver can preform with open water cert, i live in nashville tennessee,, im new to the dive world so i was hoping someone could point me in the riht direction,,thaks,,,josh
An OW cert does not qualify you to be a pro in the industry. It, in fact, certifies you to be a customer in the industry.

If you want to go pro, you have basically 2 tracks...

1) Start working toward a dive leader certification Dive Master, Instructor, etc. To do this, you will need to do your AOW, Rescue Diver, get certified in CPR, First Aid and O2 delivery. And dive, dive, dive... You need as much experience in different types of diving as possible.

2) Commercial Diving and Scientific Diving... most commercial diving schools will accept you with only an OW cert or no cert at all, because what you don't know, they will teach you, anyway.

Commercial or scientific diving is the only business where you can make a steady, livable and regular income. Under the right circumstances, you can really make a killing. But, be prepared to be "washed-up" at about 30 years old. Commercial diving really takes a toll on the body. All the commercial divers that I know quit when they hit "30 something" because they just couldn't take the beating anymore.

Dive leaders/Instructors don't really make a livable income unless they own the store. All the instructors that I work with have "day jobs" and, between income and expenses, actually just break even. Most of us teach because its fun and we have a passion for passing on our experience to new divers. And... it's cool getting nice expensive equipment on key-man deals.

looking for advice for any type of jobs a diver can preform with open water cert, i live in nashville tennessee,, im new to the dive world so i was hoping someone could point me in the riht direction,,thaks,,,josh

One more thing. Some of my previous students do make some extra bucks installing zincs on boats at the marina, and similar tasks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom