Scuba Junkie, Don't join it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I took my mother to Scuba Junkie, Mabul island, Malaysia. And we order an AC room, at Mabul Beach Resort, there are a lot of invisible bugs on the bed, and no hot water, although it's acceptable. Me and my mom was both take part in the OW+AOW+Sipadan, then the second day after the theory, they said my mom cannot finish OW lesson, just tried for one morning, we stay 7D6N on the island! They changed her activity for 5day snorkeling by the safety reason, which is also acceptable.
Then after I finished my OW lesson, my instructor asked me to eat seafood and we brought some beer also, cause it's Chinese New Year. I have drank for about 3 tins of beer that night, then I am not feeling very well that day, maybe I drank some seawater before. The next day, when I was learning my AOW lesson, the wave on the wharf is so huge, that I throw up twice, and I haven't finish my AOW lesson cause my instructor said that I need more fun dive before the AOW lesson. I have already ask my instructor if I can drink beer or not, cause on the PADI OW lesson video, it says you should not drink beers befor you dive. I thought the main reason I throw up is caused by high waves+beers+seawater, they cannot blame this on me. That's unacceptable, I still have three days on the island, the last day is Sipadan, so there will be about 11 fun dives before I leave Mabul island, which I thought is too long, I am angry about this decision, at least I should try one more time learning AOW lesson. All my friends who choose different dive shop, is also learn OW+AOW for 5D, and they have finished their lessons. Their instructor haven't cancel their lesson by the reason that they have few dives!!!
Finally, I asked office to look for some help, but the officer said, don't be angry with me, you are an adult, you can consider by yourself. Are you kidding me? My INSTRUCTOR asked me to DRINK BEER!!! And there is no responsiblity of your INSTRUCTOR??? All blame on me?

Sorry, no sympathy from me. I apologize for sounding harsh, but I don't think you're ready for the responsibilities required of a basic level scuba diver. You alone are responsible for your actions.
I certainly would never dive with you.

Sorry, no sympathy from me. I apologize for sounding harsh, but I don't think you're ready for the responsibilities required of a basic level scuba diver. You alone are responsible for your actions.
I certainly would never dive with you.

Pretty harsh, given the way a lot of the "dive shops" sell (promote) their "OW" & "AOW" tourist classes. Little content, little real experience, and little suport. An instructor telling a total novice to get loaded (so he can buy the instructor beer) because it's Chinese New Year the night before class is a bit irresponsible. But that's the kind of service you get trying to do a quickie cert somewhere warm. I can empathise, even if I don't condone. No need to be harsh.

You are not supposed to drink before you dive because diving drunk is a very bad idea. But drinking the night before and allowing time for the alcohol to leave your system is ok. If you suffer a hangover the next day and can't dive that is your fault. You are an adult and should know your tolerance for alcohol and hangovers.
As for me, I get a hangover if I just see a beer commercial on TV lol. I used to be able to drink until the sun came up and feel fine the next day but getting older put a stop to that.

And of course it's all those bad instructors' fault that these terrible things happen to us. God forbid we take responsibility for our actions. :banghead:

On one hand i'm sorry you did not get what you expected. On the other hand you are the one responible for your health, and the dive op is the one resposible for it's reputation. Nobody forced you to drink too much, and no sane instructor would let you dive while pukeing your guts out. I'm much more upset at instructors handing out AOWD after 5 dives in tropical waters.

I actually take this as a positive review of this operation (minus the bugs), they made a call which appears to a be a safety one, that they knew would be unpopular of not continuing on with your mom's training and your AOW training.

You cannot dive if you drink beer that day , but many people have a beer after diving and then dive the following day. The alcohol will have cleared your body then and reasonable amounts should have no effect on your performance.

We have dived with Scuba Junkies and liked the people and the arrangements very much.
Like some of the other people have said , I think this post is an advertisement for Scuba Junkie. They could have taken your money and certified you both , taken you fun diving , even sell you another course ..perish the thought......so it is good to read that they are so safety conscious. It would, make me want to rebook with them.

For some people taking AOW right after OW just won't work , they are not ready for it. We had about 40 dives each before we did our AOW and believe it or not I still remember a lot of the course. It sounds as if you need to get more experience before you start another course.

Also part of being a responsible diver is reflecting on how you yourself have contributed to a difficult situation and not doing the same thing again. Think about this and write it in your log book.Get some experience before you do your AOW and leave the beer till the last day of your trip.

Your Mom might like to try again on a one on one basis with an instructor who shares the same first language. It's not impossible but you need to apply yourself and either have certain skills or learn them.

Good luck and enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Last edited:
I took my mother to Scuba Junkie, Mabul island, Malaysia. And we order an AC room, at Mabul Beach Resort, there are a lot of invisible bugs on the bed, and no hot water, although it's acceptable. Me and my mom was both take part in the OW+AOW+Sipadan, then the second day after the theory, they said my mom cannot finish OW lesson, just tried for one morning, we stay 7D6N on the island! They changed her activity for 5day snorkeling by the safety reason, which is also acceptable.
Then after I finished my OW lesson, my instructor asked me to eat seafood and we brought some beer also, cause it's Chinese New Year. I have drank for about 3 tins of beer that night, then I am not feeling very well that day, maybe I drank some seawater before. The next day, when I was learning my AOW lesson, the wave on the wharf is so huge, that I throw up twice, and I haven't finish my AOW lesson cause my instructor said that I need more fun dive before the AOW lesson. I have already ask my instructor if I can drink beer or not, cause on the PADI OW lesson video, it says you should not drink beers befor you dive. I thought the main reason I throw up is caused by high waves+beers+seawater, they cannot blame this on me. That's unacceptable, I still have three days on the island, the last day is Sipadan, so there will be about 11 fun dives before I leave Mabul island, which I thought is too long, I am angry about this decision, at least I should try one more time learning AOW lesson. All my friends who choose different dive shop, is also learn OW+AOW for 5D, and they have finished their lessons. Their instructor haven't cancel their lesson by the reason that they have few dives!!!
Finally, I asked office to look for some help, but the officer said, don't be angry with me, you are an adult, you can consider by yourself. Are you kidding me? My INSTRUCTOR asked me to DRINK BEER!!! And there is no responsiblity of your INSTRUCTOR??? All blame on me?

A few beers the night before doesn't have any impact. It sounds like you just got seasick and needed some meds like dramamine or the scopolamine patch.

Last edited by a moderator:
My INSTRUCTOR asked me to DRINK BEER!!! And there is no responsiblity of your INSTRUCTOR??? All blame on me?

Dude, you might as well delete your original post and start a new thread where you don't mention that you felt someone else was responsible for your drinking because most SCUBA culture demands that you say "no" to accepting any "bad ideas" on offer. This is crucial to saying no to all kinds of future dangers: trust me dives, unserviced equipment, accepting dive insta-buddies that are throwing up prior to diving, (oops that might have been your own self in that example).
To STRENGTHEN YOU on this new path I am giving you the lyrics to your new song for SCUBA!! "Nah Nah, Honey I'm good"
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/andygrammer/honeyimgood.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom