Scuba Knives on the Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back before Sept 11 I used to carry a Spyderco lock blade on the planes. Sometimes they thought it was too scary looking even though it was cool per their rules. I got tired of never knowing if I would have to put it in my checked bagage, so I kept it in my carry on. Airport x-ray machines only x-ray looking down. I always packed it so it would be standing up in my bag when I put it on the x-ray machine. That way it doesn't have a knife like profile when they check it. I never had problem again and I never tested this method post sept 11. What I did was 100% legal at the time. I just manipulated the system to my favor. Make your own conclusions and let your consience be your guide.

Howling Moose:
Heading to the southern caribbean in November...Princess just says...NO...NO knives allowed...NO, NO, and NO" :dazzler1:

I've sailed with Princess 7 - 8 times & always had a B C knife
never been a problem
Of course I don't look like an axe murderer
I don't think??? :11ztongue

Scuba Duffer:
As mentioned - there is no reason to take a knife on a cruise ship. having done MANY dives from ships, I concur that there has never been a dive sote with entaglement issues.

As for the "*******" - try and remember they are just doing thier job as they have been trained. They don't make the rules - they enforces them. The people who refer to them as the ******* are ususally the ones screaming at the staff and generally disrespecting people who are just trying to do thier jobs.

Go ahead - confiscate all dive knives - there's no reason to bring them on board.

That might be your opinion, but in mine, I believe that anyone in a service industry can be polite (firm, if need be, but polite) and handle any situation with class. Or, they can "enforces" (sic) them with force and glee. Big difference in "disrespecting" someone for doing their job like a thug v. doing their job properly & with respect. If you enjoy the thug-like enforcement, to each his own, but I prefer the class and service route.

BTW, I wasn't the one screaming at them, I took the opposite approach. I merely called their supervisor, and then his supervisor, and ultimately his supervisor to make sure my knife was properly washed and dried (they wanted to throw it in a bin with other wet knives w/o proper ID). If the rule is worth 10 screaming customers, escalation to 4 levels of management/workforce, and at least one customer who will never, ever, ever go on NCL again, then it is a good rule and should be followed like a good storm^H^H^H^H^H trooper :-]

I will happily ride Carnival, again, this spring, and RCL next fall. But Satan will be wearing a fur coat over fleece before I step on NCL again.

jwh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom