Scuba Pro Glide Relief Valve Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just bought my first BCD, a Scuba Pro Glide. I really like the BCD, had used this type of BCD at Sunset House on Grand Cayman on 2 dive trips. And I like the one I bought.

But there's something it does that has me a bit puzzled.

When I first connect it on the boat, and put air into the BCD, the release valve at the place where the LPI connects with the jacket off-vents air. This happens right away, not after the BCD is full of air.

This doesn't happen when I'm under water. When I'm submerged, the BCD works just great. And even when I'm on the boat, the BCD does inflate. It's just that there's some wasted air as it's off-venting air when it shouldn't be.

I tried monkeying with the lever there, and making sure there's no traction on the LPI. Sometimes it doesn't do the off-venting thing. But most times it does anyway.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I've had issues with losing some air there too. I've tried moving my hoses around to keep them away from the dump value thinking this may be part of the problem. Haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. Sorry.

This is exactly why we have the Manufacturer's forum so I've moved this thread there for a response from a ScubaPro representative.

These forums are intended to serve as a customer support and product information FAQ for the companies that participate here.

Well, I don't care where my thread is, as long as I get an answer. But I figured maybe only the manufacturer would read my post if I put it there. The manufacturers' forums description says that they're for questions directed at manufacturers. And I figured someone else who owns this BCD might be able to give me an answer.

Does it only do what you described when it is dry or at the first use?

It's quite often that I get air passing through the shoulder dump at first, a quick tug seems to do the trick. I've always assumed it's just because the seal was not fully engaged or seated. Maybe that's it?

Oh, just to be clear, I don't have an SP BCD, but the similar thing happens on the different ones I do have.

As to the Forum, I suspect a lot of folks peruse SB the way I do. I look at the Thread title to decide if the Thread is of interest. I usually don't look at what Forum it is in. However, I would hazard that having the question here will likely also get a specific response from Scubapro.

Does it only do what you described when it is dry or at the first use?

It's quite often that I get air passing through the shoulder dump at first, a quick tug seems to do the trick. I've always assumed it's just because the seal was not fully engaged or seated. Maybe that's it?

After I posted the original question, I had the dive described in another thread. During the time I was on the surface trying to get back to the boat, after having been down under water for about an hour, every time I inflated my BCD air escaped from the relief valve.

So I'm assuming it happens every time. It probably happens underwater as well, but I just can't hear it happening there.

I'm sure you're right about the seal not being properly engaged or seated. But what can I do about it? That's what I need to find out. Hopefully someone from ScubaPro will respond. And if not, I'll just contact them directly.

Thank-you for the kind reply.

Hopefully someone will. Did it happen when the BCD was fully inflated, or was this happening right off the bat as you put air into it, before it was fully inflated?

Well, I don't care where my thread is, as long as I get an answer. But I figured maybe only the manufacturer would read my post if I put it there. The manufacturers' forums description says that they're for questions directed at manufacturers. And I figured someone else who owns this BCD might be able to give me an answer.
Often users do a New Posts search so your thread will show up wherever it is.

Don't you want the manufacturer of your BCD to tell if you there's an issue or resolution to the issue rather than members who have used one? I would.

And in case they're unaware of the issue, they will be now.

I'll put it back if you want. Reply here, I'll see it.

FPDocMatt-
Thank you for choosing SCUBAPRO. More information will be needed from you to accurately assess this issue, I am sending you a PM. We're here to help- always feel free to post product-specific questions in our SCUBAPRO forum, or PM myself or SCUBAPROHarry.
Happy Diving!
KateSCUBAPRO

Don't you want the manufacturer of your BCD to tell if you there's an issue or resolution to the issue rather than members who have used one? I would.

Actually, since this is my first BCD, I figured the likely problem was that I was simply using it wrong. In that case, it wouldn't be a problem with the product itself, but just ignorance on my part that would need to be corrected.

By the way, I got a nice reply from ScubaPro. Spoke with someone there on the phone, who directed me to take the BCD to a dealer in my area to be looked at. Once the problem has been resolved, I'll post the resolution here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom