Scuba Snopes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no, they get heavier

My double steel 100s are much lighter when full carrying them down the hill to the water than after the dive and carrying them back up :)
Ah, they must work by letting out air and replacing it with water throughout the dive... :D

Ah, they must work by letting out air and replacing it with water throughout the dive... :D

Ah! There's another myth!

Taking your tank below 200 PSI is likely to introduce water into the tank. We are going to have to do a visual inspection to make sure it didn't happen, and we are going to have to charge you for it.

Ah! There's another myth!

Taking your tank below 200 PSI is likely to introduce water into the tank. We are going to have to do a visual inspection to make sure it didn't happen, and we are going to have to charge you for it.

at some places, the visual inspection IS the myth while the cost is real :)

... a full cylinder is always heavier than when it is empty ...

Unless it's filled with helium, which would make it lighter. <myth!>

Unless it's filled with helium, which would make it lighter. <myth!>

It is NOT a myth! the tank will be lighter. Helium weighs less than air! Don't you know that?

It is NOT a myth! the tank will be lighter. Helium weighs less than air! Don't you know that?
:rofl3:

Ah, now I understand. Compressed helium weighs less than non-compressed air.:wink:

:rofl3:

Ah, now I understand. Compressed helium weighs less than non-compressed air.:wink:

I never said that... Can we assume STP.. standard pressure and temp?

I never said that... Can we assume STP.. standard pressure and temp?
Right... So a tank filled with helium at ambient pressure will be lighter than a tank filled with air at ambient pressure... Now since a tank filled with air at higher pressure will be heavier than the one at ambient pressure, that means that a tank filled with helium at higher pressure will be even lighter... right? :dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom