Scuba tank explodes after it's hit by boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this one, but it's definitely interesting. It was apparently reported in the Palm Beach Post, but I'm having issues trying to verify that for myself.

PALM BEACH, Florida (16 July 2005) -- Wesley Scott Murphy remembers hearing the boat.

He remembers knowing he only had a second.

He remembers ducking and the boat's propeller hitting his oxygen tank.

"All I know is my tank exploded," he said from his hospital room Saturday night. "I can't remember much after that."

The 35-year-old man from Houston was hit by a 32-foot SeaVee named Makin' Time, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which is investigating.

Murphy, in Florida working on the Downtown at the Gardens retail construction project in Palm Beach Gardens, had no broken bones and was in good condition at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach on Saturday night. He was taken by Trauma Hawk to the hospital.

At 3:30 p.m., Murphy was scuba diving with two co-workers at a popular spot: the waters off The Breakers resort in Palm Beach. He was out about 30 to 40 minutes, about 100 to 150 yards offshore, in water 7 feet deep, when the accident occurred, he said. He was separated from his friends, who were snorkeling, officials said.

The occupants of the boat, who weren't identified Saturday, turned around and helped take Murphy to shore near the hotel, said Willie Puz, spokesman for the wildlife conservation commission. It's not clear whether they will face charges.

Palm Beach Police Capt. Keith Robinson said Murphy had bruises and back pain.

The U.S. Coast Guard, responding to initial reports of two people missing, also had dispatched a helicopter and two boats to the scene.

"I was told there was a diving point out there," Murphy said. "We went out to check it out."

Investigators are trying to determine whether a diver-down flag was displayed. State law requires scuba divers and snorkelers to display a red flag with a white diagonal stripe whenever in the water.

Boaters are required to make reasonable attempts to stay 300 feet away from the flags in open waters.

Divers and snorkelers are supposed to stay within 300 feet of their flags.

Puz encouraged boaters to stay alert and divers to display the diver-down flag.

"Some people think that they're close to shore and it doesn't pertain to them," Puz said. "But it is necessary."

Oh, Kyle should like this one... no ammunition required.

We had a diver surface last summer (?) outside the dive park here on Catalina. A boat hit his tank, shredding the hoses coming off his first stage. When he brought them back to the LDS, he claimed they were like that when he rented them. At least the tank didn't explode (although it showed several marks).

Yeah, right.

I always thought if a tank exploded anything close to it would be a hurting for sure.

lol but kyles tanks didnt explode...

mxracer19:
lol but kyles tanks didnt explode...

Yeah, I wonder if by explode did he mean, "lots of bubbles came out of it". You know, like Grandma in the bathtub after Bingo Chilli night.

Kriterian:
Yeah, I wonder if by explode did he mean, "lots of bubbles came out of it". You know, like Grandma in the bathtub after Bingo Chilli night.

That's sick.

There are a couple of things that need to be clarified. If the diver didn't have a flag, then he is at fault and very lucky indeed. If the diver had a flag, then the boaters are at fault and the diver is still very lucky indeed. I am happy to see that the boat helped the diver. Many would have run like h e double hocky sticks. I would bet that after the dive and with much less than the 3000 lbs of pressure, the tank didn't truly explode, but opened up where it was hit (very fast to be sure) and propelled the diver through the water very quickly. This would cause severe brusing and not be pleasant at all.

AHH!!! I know what caused the tank to rupture..... It was an oxygen tank! Very dangerous around props. According to the newpapers, all divers use them.
; )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom