Scuba tanks EU/UK - can I go across with one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biczmusic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello everyone,

please redirect me if there’s a post about it already, but so far I found only post about air transport and US matters.

so…I have a chance to buy a tank here in UK, tested November ‘22, Faber 15l Steel. I want to take it back to Germany By car.
my questions are: can I do it? will the test be valid in EU?

I don’t really want to take the valve off (which I believe you need to do on the airplane), but generally would like to know if you guys have any experience of that kind of situation.

thanks in advance.
best,
Marcin

if they are CE marked, they are ok to be recertified and used in the EU, but not sure on if the UK hydro would be valid in the EU anymore after Brexit. you will need to talk to a dive shop or hydro recertifier in Germany about that.

Regarding surface transport, ferries have documented rules about transportation listed on their websites. In essence if you’ve one and it’s filled with air there’s no real issue although the paperwork can be onerous if you declare it. There’s often a limit of 50 litres max which makes a technical diving trip an issue — and they don’t allow helium mixes even though pure oxygen is OK.

Goodness knows how many people cross the Channel with their cylinders packed out of site and undeclared.

Thank you.
So the tank hasn’t got CE mark but the ISO and BS5045 standard. 🤔
Hmm, seems complicated just for one tank, but I’ll check that paperwork…

Thank you.

Faber cylinder list:

Where it says "Approved PED 2014/68/EU" that generally means its ok for EU. Best verify with the shop though. I have recently bought a cylinder from AP Diving via their EU shop and it both was listed as PED and they have also confirmed in writing it is CE approved.
You can also try to email Faber but they are extremely slow at replying and calling them only yields a voicemail...seem its its always a lunchtime in Italy xD

Otherwise BOOT in Dusseldorf happens end of January, every cylinder manufacturer will have a stand there, can then see, compare and buy whatever suits you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom