Scuba Trick Tips for New Divers to Advanced Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely better air consumption, bouyancy control, and emergency procedures (rescue, OOA, entanglement, etc). And I have to agree with hunter99 on getting someone to carry my gear and fund my diving addiction!

TSandM:
3. Functioning in midwater. I can now do a minimally competent descent with a buddy, and an ascent with some sloppy stops. But Bob's horrible AOW exercise of swimming a nav pattern at 20 feet (without reference to surface or bottom) still strikes terror in my soul.

1.Definitely my biggest! My AOW we had to do that...only it was at night in 10' vis... I think a lot of this goes hand in hand with buoyancy control though..

2. Navigation is another one I need to work on.... I can shoot a course and follow a heading, but I don't really understand what I am doing so I don't have the faith in the compass I need

3. Confidence in dive planning...even with my AOW, I don't quite feel like I'm ready to go to a new site, plan a dive, and successfully execute it. I rely a little too heavily on just "tagging along" and following the leader. Which for now isn't to big a deal, I'm still working on my bounacy, and with me buying stuff, it seems like about the time I get it nailed, I've added something new that totally throws it off.

divezero:
If you could learn 3 skills for scuba diving from someone, what would you pick? Would you choose them according to the most needed when underwater or the more difficult ones?

Here are some examples below:

1. New Diver - Please state which 3 skills that your instructors never really gave you a lot of practice on in your open water class.

2. Advanced Divers - Please state which 3 skills that you may need a refresher on, you may be too busy with photography, etc on your dives, that you havent really practiced your dive skills in awhile.

Also, if you have any, name some tips for fellow divers that you dont learn in open water class.

Examples of skills:

-Mask Flood
-Buoyancy Control
-Weightbelt removal and replacement
-Removing BCD (to swim through small holes)
-Regulator Recovery (also with purge method)
-Regulator Free Flow.
-Plus many more...

I am a very new diver (just finished my certification last month), but my instructor was very thorough and really practiced a lot with me. The only thing we really didn't work on was navigation skills, but I guess that is kind of hard to do in a pool.

I ascend very slow. During my OW dives, I was always the last one down with others waiting for me. My son (who dived with me and is certified) teased me about this 'don't worry Mom, when you get lonely up there you'll come down in a timely manner with the rest of us'. So I guess this is something I need to work on. During class I kept dropping like a rock and my instructor drilled it into me to ascend slow.

I had to laugh because during class when we practiced the Removing BCD (to swim through small holes) skill, he made me learn to do this (he was very 'by the book') but his only comment was 'anyone that would really do this, in HIS opinion, needs to be removed from the gene pool'.

As I am still very much a new diver here's what I know I need work on and a few things from the tips/tricks thread that really helped me.

1. Ascending too quickly. I have a computer which beeps at me but in low vis situations where I couldn't reference anything I was having to completely rely on that. Someone posted in the tips tricks section look for little bits of sediment/debris in the water. Obviously this trick will vary with currents but in the quarries, it works for me and lets me stop staring at my computer.

2. Trim/Buoyancy. I'm still working on this. Getting properly weighted and swimming in warm water have helped, but I still need a lot of work.

3. Navigation. I'm still working on this but finally am getting to the point where I at least have a general idea of where I am in the quarry. I found if I always keep an idea of which way is North when underwater rather than just following the headings, things work better for me.

4. OOA drills. I did this for the first time since OW on my last set of dives and discovered my short primary hose (I dive an Air2, yea I know, I'm gonna die) was too short. I had a longer hose put on and hope to test that out next time I'm out.

I realize there are a lot of other things I like any new diver need to work on but I thought I might be able to add a little to the conversation on the above points.

How to disconnect my pee valve without getting myself wet. :D

I completely agree on a couple of points and have one to add.

1) Boyancy control: Perhaps it is something that you just need to practice and learn but I'm sure there's more pointers than what is given in the original OW course.

2) Underwater Navigation: Again a VERY valuable skill that should be taught earlier than the AOW certification because it would be nice to get into that habit earlier on especially if one were to get seperated or lost in low visability.

3) Equipment maintinence and care: This one was not discussed here but individuals who buy equipment generally don't seem to know how to care for it initially. This could lead to very costly problems, particularily with salt water.

skills i need haven't done in a while...

1. sinking gear to bottom of pool and doning at 15' bottom. (weight belt, bcd, fins,etc.) something I had to do as sort of an initiation into diving during OW.

2. bouyancy control. launching a smb or lift bag without moving up 3-5 feet.

3. air consumption- I'd love to be at the point where I'm tired before my tank dries up.

Stuff I'd like to learn...

1. reading a sonar or fish finder to find new dive sites.

2. shoot a speargun and catch lobsters

3. cooking lobster

4. basic drysuit techniques. only messed around with em but haven't gotten to do a dive with one yet. I'm still a wet.

I have two goals:

(1) To be able to ascend from (say) 60 or 70 feet at 2 seconds per foot and then hold a stop while remaining in perfect horizontal trim and using minimal motions of arms and legs. Basically this is just a 6 minute "hover" with eyes on a depth gauge. But currently I need to use my fins.

(2) I just started using a drysuit. I wish venting air was "automatic" (figuratively speaking) so I could not have to think. As it is I tend to to vent out to much them need to add more. Or I sometimes forget and look over my left shoulder and vent air accidently. So far only a dozen or so drysuit dives so this will come in time, I hope

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom