Scubadiving Townsville to Cairns in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kris69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
We are going to Townsville to visit family in March. Any recommendations as to the best places to dive the GBR in northern Queensland? Have heard that the reef is quite damaged close to Cairns for instance. Both are experienced divers. Price is an issue.

Regards,
Kristian

Hi Kris69,

Townsville is well known for diving on the Yongala, however the dive is very weather dependant and you could miss out. We dive in Cairns neally every weekend and it is true in some places like Green Island the coral is a little damaged but most of the other reef sites are still awesome.

I would recommend Tusa Dive T5 from Cairns for a day dive boat or perhaps if your budget could stretch a little further you could always travel out with Cairns Dive Centre for a 2 Day/1 Night trip where you could do 6 dives in two days, I believe the price would be $355.00 per person.

Hi Kristian,

Agree with Cnz Diver above. Townsville does offer day and overnight trips to Wheeler Reef and of course teh Yongala wreck, but only through one company. Cairns has many options.

From Cairns there are also some great specials. Tusa offers 3 dives for the price of 2. Reefquest offer trip and 1 certifid dive for $140 and there are great specials alal the time fo live aboard trips.

Cnz Diver did mention Kangraoo Explorer (CDC boat) and that is a good budget option. Its actually a bit less that quoted above ($345 Cairns Over Night Live Aboard Dive Trips With Kangaroo Explorer To The Great Barrier Reef).

But check out the day trip options here Cairns Day Diving Trips to the Great Barrier Reef and Live board options here Cairns Live Aboard Over Night Dive Trips To The Outer Barrier Reef, Cod Hole And Coral Sea.

All the above visit good quality sites and not places like Green island an Upolo Cay which are bad viz and very limiting for certified divers with experience.

Good luck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Hi Kristian,

RAD looks good but I am not sure about Townsville but as I said have a look in the CDC thing anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom