Scubapro A700 - the King of Bling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkUK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Scubapro's new A700 regulator looks like the kind of thing that Kanye West or 50 Cent would use if they went diving!

The A700 second stage is all new, and to match its shiny chrome finish, the MK25 and MK17 have been reworked and chromed to look the part. The VIVA and breathing resistance knob have been worked into one control now, instead of being separate as on previous Scubapro second stages, and the whole thing is 5mm smaller than the S600.

I had the opportunity to take it for a dive off Portofino in Italy after the official world launch of it in Genoa and it certainly breathes well. It has astonishing ANSTI performance the work of breathing is just 0.5 J/L. For an all-metal second stage, it is still relatively lightweight and doesn't feel heavy in your mouth.

The reg is due to be in the dive centres by Spring 2009 in Europe, don't know when you guys in the States will be seeing it. We had the Galileo Sol released nine months before it went Stateside, might be the same with this reg. Thought you'd like to see the piccies though!

Mark

Attachments

• Scubapro_MK17_A700_Regualtor.jpg
    Scubapro_MK17_A700_Regualtor.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 545
  • Scubapro_MK25_A700_Regualtor.jpg
    Scubapro_MK25_A700_Regualtor.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 433
Thanks for the info.

They are finally returning to making a metal second stage. That is very good news.

Yes, good to see another metal reg out there.
As for it's appearance, it doesn't ring my bell. It looks like fusion of an old Dacor Olympus and GSD.

Any idea what the price tag is?

Perhaps we should start a pool on how many weeks earlier Leisurepro will be offering this new reg than USA authorized dealers.:D

They should have made it a little more vintage looking and paired it with a new version MK5. That would have been pretty cool. At least they're doing a new metal 2nd. I wonder if all the talk on this and other forums might have have been some small contributing factor to their decision, or is that really presumptuous?

The price in the UK is going to be Ž£599 for the A700/MK25 and Ž£515 for the MK17/A700.

They've been RnDing this for three years, apparently.

Mark

The combination flow vane/adjustment knob looks similar to what they did on the X650 and it did create smooth airflow compared to a conventional flow vane.

The metal case is thinner than a composite case so they should have been abel to use the same S600 sized diaphragm etc in the smaller package.

I am also not real enamored with the styling. It has a bad case of ugly. I am still a fan of full size diaphrams and I wish they'd bring back a vintage version of the Balanced Adjustable or a metal cased version of the G250V, but being an SP fan, I'll have to have Terri order me the Mk 17 version as soon as they are available so I can test drive it.

I'm with DA Aquamaster on this one. The second stage is butt ugly. They should have released all metal version of G250V or S600 instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom