Scubapro BLK Tech

Which reg would you go for?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Diablo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,

I have a 'silly' question you might be able to answer:

It is time to buy a new set of regs as my "veteran" MK25 / S600 are now almost 20 years old (leaving it permanently on my holiday house). I am looking into the newer MK25 / 620Ti combo, a Poseidon X-Stream or the new membrane MK19 (when Scubapro decides to pair it with something else than the D400).

So far I tend to go for the MK25 / 620Ti as I am familiar with the brand and I have no chance to test the Poseidon reg so not sure if I want to risk it...

The "issue" is I received an extremely good discount for an MK25 / G260 BLACK TECH combo (cheaper than the normal polished version) and my concern is if the DLC coating is really durable or it will chip away / scratch like some PVD watches. Anyone has personal experience with the above regs and especially with the SP BK Tech offering? Is it as durable as advertised?

FYI I don't do any technical diving or doubles and don't mind the weight when travelling. Thanks in advance :)

ps. I collect luxury watches and I am familiar with DLC coatings and their difference with PVD.

I would go with the MK 19-D420 but if your diving is easy on gear the black tech should be fine, the G260 has the seat saver purge button which would probably lead me to pick it over the 620.

Twenty years old? Why not stick with it? I didn't retire my SP109 until 48 years and the MK 5 it was paired is getting retired next year after 52 years. I bought a lightly used MK5 on Ebay with a steady 140 psi IP to replace it. All set for another 50 years! I choose none of the above. But if I had to choose I'd pick the best deal because they are all good regs.

ScubaPro gives you a lifetime warranty if you're the original owner. MK25/S620Ti is superior on flow characteristics and the S620Ti is lighter than a G260. If you will not be the original owner of the black tech, go with the 620Ti to halve your service bill. You also won't have the warranty to replace any parts should the black tech chip (I haven't seen a black tech chip, but I know ScubaPro would stand behind it if it did, if you're the original owner). Whatever you do, buy a new ScubaPro regulator and get it serviced when it is due - take advantage of ScubaPro's industry-leading warranty program. Nobody else comes close to those guys.

lifetime warranty if you're the original owner....to halve your service bill.
Kool-aid.
Okay, parts are free. But labor is not. You have to keep the service intervals up to keep the warranty. From the regulator manual: "The [2- year] servicing overhaul is compulsory to preserve the limited lifetime warranty." A second stage can use a tune-up from time to time. But a properly rinsed first can go 3-5 years of occasional diving with no need for service if the IP continues to lock up crisply. We're not diving Buna-N orings anymore.
So in my mind, you don't even come out ahead with SP's program, much less halve your total service bill.
take advantage of ScubaPro's industry-leading warranty program. Nobody else comes close to those guys.
As for industry leading warranty? It's probably Atomic, which does not require documentation of repeated service; just proof of purchase. From the website:
"THE ATOMIC AQUATICS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY IS NOT CONTINGENT ON PROOF OF ANNUAL SERVICE."

Kool-aid.
Okay, parts are free. But labor is not. You have to keep the service intervals up to keep the warranty. From the regulator manual: "The [2- year] servicing overhaul is compulsory to preserve the limited lifetime warranty." A second stage can use a tune-up from time to time. But a properly rinsed first can go 3-5 years of occasional diving with no need for service if the IP continues to lock up crisply. We're not diving Buna-N orings anymore.
So in my mind, you don't even come out ahead with SP's program, much less halve your total service bill.

As for industry leading warranty? It's probably Atomic, which does not require documentation of repeated service; just proof of purchase. From the website:
"THE ATOMIC AQUATICS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY IS NOT CONTINGENT ON PROOF OF ANNUAL SERVICE."

I didn't want to burst his bubble but Scubapro gave me a lifetime warranty on my MK5/109 in 1968, until they took it away 10-15 years ago. They don't even make the parts anymore, I get them from VDH.com and do the work myself.

Twenty years old? Why not stick with it? I didn't retire my SP109 until 48 years and the MK 5 it was paired is getting retired next year after 52 years. I bought a lightly used MK5 on Ebay with a steady 140 psi IP to replace it. All set for another 50 years! I choose none of the above. But if I had to choose I'd pick the best deal because they are all good regs.

‘Hello friend, I am not retiring it, just adding a new set and leaving the old combo on the island for holidays :)

Thank you all for your replies, I am leaning towards the black tech... many posts in here saying that the G260 breathes a little better (due to the larger diaphragm surface perhaps?).

It's all in the tuning. You can get the 260 and the 620 to breathe exactly the same, if you're not an ANSTI machine. G260 is a good choice. Easy to unscrew the faceplate and wash out the sand if you're beach diving.

I have the Black tech and love it. Warm water, cold water, whatever, it works well. Easy to clean too.
The larger size I find as an advantage as its in-water weight is very low. Some regs I find I need to hold in my mouth, this one sits nicely.
Easy to clean.
Hold tune well.
I have probably 800+ dives on mine and the coating has held up well. It may have faded a bit (I'd need to compare it to a new one to confirm) but it is very resistant to wear and tear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom