Scubapro D400 or G250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venture34

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to get some feedback from anyone who has used both of these regulators.

I'm just getting back into diving (I have about 30-40 dives in 20 years) and bought 2 used regulators: M25/G250 and M20/D400. Both are about 6 years old and used once or twice. I have never used either so I have no basis for comparison. I have done search's on both 2nd stages and have yet to read any dislikes/negatives about either of them.

All of my diving will be recreational, SE Florida in 90' or less. Is there any compelling reason to keep one vs. the other. I know that either 1st stage will work great. Which 2nd stage is a better choice for my skills level/type of diving?

I mostly like will keep one and sell the other so I will probably only rebuild one of the sets and sell the other.

If it were me, I'd keep the MK20/D400. I far prefer the D series regs to the G250, and I'd rather have a MK20 with the composite piston than a MK25. Plus, you'll get a lot more money for the MK25/G250.

Two caveats, 1) if your MK20 has the crappy middle generation brass-tipped piston, you're going to want to get the MK25 composite piston. It's probably about $50. 2) Scubapro in its infinite wisdom is supposedly discontinuing support for the D series other than rebuild kits. If you need a new purge cover or seat carrier, get it fairly soon. Rebuild kits should not be a problem for the foreseeable future.

Both reg are about as good as they get in terms of performance.
Choose the 2nd stage style you prefer.
.....the D400 does have an unfortunate nick-name.

The D400 is one of the best breaths out there and if there was more parts available out there I would have kept mine.

The 250 is a pretty good breath too and it's a very much copied designed too.

I would stick to with the Mk25/250 only cus it's easier to get parts for it.

SangP

There is little difference between the MIK20 and the MK25. Probably most MK20's out there have been upgraded to MK25 anyhow. The G250 is a great, high performance regulator that uses a relatively standard cofiguration. Parts are easy to get and most technicians are familiar with servicing it. The D400 is probably the best breathing regulator I have ever used. It exhibits high performance and it is very comefortable to breath from. The D400 might be a little harder to get parts for and, because its configuration is quite different from other regulators on the market, many technicians are unfamiliar with how to service it.

The difference between a Mk 20 and Mk 25 can be as little as the seayt carrier. I had one of the last Mk 20's made and one of the first Mk 25's. All of the parts were identical except for the adjustable seat carrier used on the Mk 25 - and that was the one change out of many previous and subsequent changes that defined the Mk 25. The newer yoke/DIN retainer was first found on late production Mk 20's as was the current composite "Mk 25" piston.

Personally, I think the composite piston is worth having but the adjustable seat carrier just adds a potential leak point and the later Mk 25 finned swivel cap is little more than a cosmetic change. Many Mk 20's with the brass tipped piston have probably already been upgradede as have most of the Mk 20's with the older style DIN or Yoke retainer. In my opinion, those are the only mods worth having.

The D400 (at least the pre-plastic orifice and pre-double sided flat lever versions) was the best second stage SP ever produced in quantity. They are exceptionally good breathing regs, not just in a work of breathing sense but in a qualitative sense with very smooth and natural breathing airflow - but they need to be tuned by someone who understands how they work.

The late production D400's were badly detuned to meet CE freeflow requirements and this came on top of a switch to a replaceable plastic orifice that greatl;y reduced the potential performance.

The G250 is another exceptional scubapro reg and they are still a gold standard for technical divers.

The bad news here is that if your D400 came with a Mk 20, it is probably the less desireable late production model. And if your "G250" came with a Mk 25, the odds are it is a G250HP. They are not the same reg and the G250HP is by comparison a piece of mostly plastic crap.

I would stick with the 25 250 combo, purely based from a service/parts point of view. You have both, dive them and then decide which to sell/keep as backup.

Both reg are about as good as they get in terms of performance.
Choose the 2nd stage style you prefer.
.....the D400 does have an unfortunate nick-name.

.....and that Nickname is? :D

I'd go for the G250 due to its adjustability, easy to service and parts should be available for a long time.
Assuming its a late model Mk20 I'd probably keep that and sell theMK25 since you would get more money for it and it does not really offer any real benefit over theMK20.

Na forget all that, if it was me I would keep the lot and have an excellent set of back up regs.. But then I have back up regs for my back up regs. Not because I need to but because I simply cant bring myself to sell any of my great SP regs.

I'd go for the G250 due to its adjustability, easy to service and parts should be available for a long time.
Assuming its a late model Mk20 I'd probably keep that and sell theMK25 since you would get more money for it and it does not really offer any real benefit over theMK20.

Na forget all that, if it was me I would keep the lot and have an excellent set of back up regs.. But then I have back up regs for my back up regs. Not because I need to but because I simply cant bring myself to sell any of my great SP regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom