Scubapro G250V: That mysterious O-ring "part number 6" in the 03/2007 schematic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what most people thought. But compare the sweeteners used: Original: sugar. Classic: corn syrup.

This is why I compared the situation to the original G250 and the G250V. It looked like they went back to the old model with
the Vintage, but from what you are saying, there are differences.

Classic coke is old coke.

After they brought out new coke they had to remarket to reassure customers that yes, we went back to the original formula :wink:

So fear not, there is some sense in the world.

There are five g250s. You have a g250v. You are much better off buying service kits. The scubapro orings are not the same as generics. Unless you can match durometers youll get a stiff ring where a not stiff ring should go.

There are five g250s. You have a g250v. You are much better off buying service kits. The scubapro orings are not the same as generics. Unless you can match durometers youll get a stiff ring where a not stiff ring should go.

Its very easy to match durometers, there are documents floating around from scubapro that list the exact dimensions and durometer of almost all the o-rings in all their regulators. You don't really think SP manufacturers o-rings, do you? They buy them from the same manufacturers and suppliers that anyone can.

Buying service kits is almost always a big waste of money for the DIYer, at least with regards to o-rings. Seats and bushings are a little more challenging.

Anyhow welcome to our little corner of the world!

So what o-ring in any Scubapro reg can not be adequately substituted with either a duro 90 o-ring or a duro 70/75 o-ring? There are a couple but do you know what they are?

In most cases, the exact hardness is just not that critical.

So what o-ring in any Scubapro reg can not be adequately substituted with either a duro 90 o-ring or a duro 70/75 o-ring? There are a couple but do you know what they are?

In most cases, the exact hardness is just not that critical.

Based on my own limited experience you guys with more experience, I didn't think there was a O-ring that could not be substituted with a generic one. I think Scubapro intentionally picks sizes, duros, and materials of O-rings to give a minor increase in performance but provides a major hurdle for DIYer trying to do it right. What can't be subbed?

Based on my own limited experience you guys with more experience, I didn't think there was a O-ring that could not be substituted with a generic one. I think Scubapro intentionally picks sizes, duros, and materials of O-rings to give a minor increase in performance but provides a major hurdle for DIYer trying to do it right. What can't be subbed?

The only O-ring in the G250's that isn't available from generic O-ring suppliers is the 2.2x1 mm used on the poppet stem. It is available in the VDH kits for the Balanced Adjustable so with a few added generics you can easily rebuild any G250 that has a S-wing poppet installed.

I am pretty sure they are all standard o-rings but some are much harder to find than others. Even those little poppet o-rings are a standard size but you have to find the right supplier. I was thinking more of the hardness issue where almost all can be substituted with an o-ring of about the right size and either 90 duro or 70/75 duro. The only exception I have found is the o-rings that are used as seats in the original Pilot. I believe they are speced at 50 duro. So far, I have found a source for duro 60s which I may have to try if I can't find 50s.

I am pretty sure they are all standard o-rings but some are much harder to find than others. Even those little poppet o-rings are a standard size but you have to find the right supplier. I was thinking more of the hardness issue where almost all can be substituted with an o-ring of about the right size and either 90 duro or 70/75 duro. The only exception I have found is the o-rings that are used as seats in the original Pilot. I believe they are speced at 50 duro. So far, I have found a source for duro 60s which I may have to try if I can't find 50s.

Amazon sells 50s: Buna O-Ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black: O Ring Seals: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom