Scubapro Mako Ti on a non scubapro BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
JimmyTG6

JimmyTG6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to mount the scubapro mako knife on a BCD of a different brand? I've really enjoyed having the knife for a few years, but since switching to a halcyon eclipse from a Hydros X, I've resorted to zip tying the sheath to my waist D-ring and just letting it dangle there like a samurai sword.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Preferably non-permanent.

Cheers.

Solution
OP
JimmyTG6
Update:
I found a compromise that doesn't involve cutting or damaging any equipment. I thread the shoulder pad straps through the existing slits in the sheath and secured the other end with a rubber band (see photos).
original_3acab6ee-17c6-408d-bccf-16a3177fdbf4_PXL_20240208_044824028.jpg
original_6b0231dd-7978-400d-9193-fedd4b4cf8fb_PXL_20240208_044835361.jpg

I'm not sure I know what holes in the webbing you're talking about?
A few thoughts;
The Mako plastic sheath has two narrow slots take can take two straps
IMG_9069.jpeg

or the mounting plate may work on the waist belt without being to sloppy??
IMG_9070.jpeg

or get one of these DIR type belt sheath, if you can get over the thought of needing it to lock, they work well and are secure without locking.
IMG_9068.jpeg

A few thoughts;
The Mako plastic sheath has two narrow slots take can take two strapsView attachment 820167
or the mounting plate may work on the waist belt without being to sloppy??
View attachment 820166
or get one of these DIR type belt sheath, if you can get over the thought of needing it to lock, they work well and are secure without locking.
View attachment 820168
G'day lexvil,
Sorry for the late response. These are some good ideas, but I'm trying to find a way to keep the mako and it's sheath together (i like how secure it is).
I'm stumped for ways to secure a sheath onto 2 inch webbing. The mako sheath has 2 screw holes and 2 slots for 2cm leg straps.
Any ideas? I haven't found anything else online that can help

Try, I no longer have one because the lock was not working well with dry gloves, removing it from the weight pocket and putting the adaptor / mount back one it, I believe it will form a slot that the webbing will fit through.

I screw a couple of screws or bolts with big washers through the bc that's not the bladder
there's always plenty of room to hide nuts even nyloc nuts, into the back of the scabbard

I think I'll try threading the straps of my shoulder pads through the knife sheath, as they seem to be similar width and spacing to regular leg straps.
I'm liking the idea of a shoulder mounted knife, but I'd rather not be drilling holes in the webbing. I worry it'll reduce the integrity of the whole harness!

Webbing: the K4/K5/K6 knives can be applied to a 50 mm. (2”) or 40 mm. (1.5”) webbing, by simply removing the straps and cutting the thin bars (B) on the base of the sheath (fig. 4).

1707301033105.png

Update:
I found a compromise that doesn't involve cutting or damaging any equipment. I thread the shoulder pad straps through the existing slits in the sheath and secured the other end with a rubber band (see photos).
original_3acab6ee-17c6-408d-bccf-16a3177fdbf4_PXL_20240208_044824028.jpg
original_6b0231dd-7978-400d-9193-fedd4b4cf8fb_PXL_20240208_044835361.jpg

I'm not sure I know what holes in the webbing you're talking about?

Solution
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom