ScubaPro Mk 25 Regulator for stage bottle use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cagemaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During a discussion with a tech diving instructor I was told that ScubaPro regulators "blew o-rings" when the valve was turned on at depth. He said "it was a basic design flaw". This makes no sense to me. It must be noted that the store is not a ScubaPro dealer.

Any information about the current Mk 25 piston first stage would be appreciated. ScubaPro tech support and local dealers laugh at the above statementls and refer to over 30 years of safe applications.

Thanks,

Cagemaker

cagemaker:
During a discussion with a tech diving instructor I was told that ScubaPro regulators "blew o-rings" when the valve was turned on at depth. He said "it was a basic design flaw". This makes no sense to me. It must be noted that the store is not a ScubaPro dealer.

Any information about the current Mk 25 piston first stage would be appreciated. ScubaPro tech support and local dealers laugh at the above statementls and refer to over 30 years of safe applications.

Thanks,

Cagemaker

That's a line of bull and I think the guy is sniffing glue! I know a lot of people who use the MK 25's for stage and deco regs and have not had a problem. Personally, I use a MK10 G250's and it's my favorite reg and I've never had a problem.

cagemaker:

Thanks,

Cagemaker

That explains why my MK25's on my doubles blow out the Orings every time I do a valve drill at depth.......NOT!

MK25's are very commonly used on doubles set ups. Valve drills are a routinely practiced drill. If this was a problem, the reports of such would be numerous.

Me think your "tech instructor" has been diving "deep air" a little too much........

Tobin

It must be noted that the store is not a ScubaPro dealer.
Never, ever take a class from this person. He lies in order to make money.

Trust nothing he says.

I prefer diapgragm first stages, but I've heard that the piston regs (such as the MK25)tolerate flooding a lot better. If you use it with as a deco bottle and turn the valve off during the dive, water could creep in as the pressure increases. Supposedly, the pistons are more robust when it comes to water intrusion.

Tell that to George. The WKPP used SP regs for years, even left them inside the caves for months on end attached to stages; G noted they were unusually reliable and consistent performers. I suspect that if they tended to blow o-rings when turned on at depth, the WKPP would have noticed.

I think your tech instructor has his own agenda going. He's welcome to his opinion, but the statement you attributed to him is simply not the case from the perspectives of many individuals and groups who successfully use SP regs for hundreds of dives and diving environments.

Best,

Doc

i use mk 25's on my doubles, and have no issues.
i use MK16 on my stages, but thats more a issuue of the fact i had them whern i began my tech diving.. also i like how the hoses are configured on a stage with the mk 16 sideways (din of corse)
ther Capt. of the dive boat i crew on uses mk 25s on his stages and bail out
and hes had no issues
i personally like to turn my stages on and leave them on most people pressurize them and then turn them off before splashing, then turn them on when needed.....
all this and still ive never hered of this issue before.
also it might help to add
i worked as a technicain in a shop that was a scubapro dealer and read every service letter that we got....
i would think this woulda been adressed. because that design has been around for a long time....ie the MK 20

I have been using ScubaPro regs...all Mk20 or 25 1st stages. I have had them in the caves of Southern Florida and below 250 ft. They are on all of my stage bottles as well as on my doubles. Most if not all of my friends that Cave dive, and Deep dive use Scubapro, Including most of the Instructors I had. I am an Instructor for PADI and IANTD , and I suggest that you look at Scubapro's record.

Been using Scubapro regs for 11 years - R190/MK10 and now G250/MK25. While I haven't been diving to depths that some of the others have, I've never had a problem. Solid equipment

I agree with all of the comments and thank all of you for your responses.

I will share these words with the shop in question and report back.

Thanks again,

Cagemaker

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom