Scubapro Mk2+ M26 DIN conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bipolarbear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have just purchased a Scubapro Mk2+ and R195 combo. The regulator set will be used on my 100% bottle. I live and dive in Asia, but I bought this from the following EU store because it was already 02 clean and I am lazy: Link

On closer inspection, it looks like the first stage uses an M26 connection, which I understand is different to a standard 300 Bar DIN. Is it possible to convert the first stage from an M26 to a standard DIN, and does anyone know where I might buy a conversion kit appropriate for the Mk2+? Finally, if a conversion kit is available, is this something that would be possible for me to do myself, as someone who is not trained/familiar with reg servicing?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I think the conversion kit you are looking for is universal (across all new SP regs); here it is. Sadly (for you and me) this only ships to US addresses due to SP distributor restrictions; but you can use the part # to find it else where: here is an Australian seller

I would recommend if you have never opened up a 1st stage before to ask someone to do it for you, maybe a tech at a dive shop can help you out; or ofcourse SP if you care about your "warranty".
Here is a screen grab of the MK2 EVO schematchs; you should be comfortable with the section on the right; mk2+ is a bit different but the idea is the same

here is the Mk2+ (a bit low quality)

1710249895839.png

a parallel question: around where you dive/live; don't you use M26 for 100% o2 tanks? or is that for your own personal tank?

You might wanna give this thread a look, it was posted right after yours; and they discuss yoke to DIN conversion. I would say that is almost entierly the same (regarding tools/skills needed if you want to DIY)

Other solution, using an adapter like that one. You don't have to modify your 1st stage that way. Quicker (and maybe cheaper ?).

Other solution, using an adapter like that one. You don't have to modify your 1st stage that way. Quicker (and maybe cheaper ?).
I am verfy much a fan of this option as well; just carefull if you drop the adapter on the sealing surface once they are a bust (had that experience on a trip without a spare).
Easier is to keep it connected to your reg always of course.

just carefull if you drop the adapter on the sealing surface once they are a bust (had that experience on a trip without a spare).
Easier is to keep it connected to your reg always of course.

True, that's the main problem, but still it's sturdy enough.

Hi,

I think the conversion kit you are looking for is universal (across all new SP regs); here it is. Sadly (for you and me) this only ships to US addresses due to SP distributor restrictions; but you can use the part # to find it else where: here is an Australian seller

I would recommend if you have never opened up a 1st stage before to ask someone to do it for you, maybe a tech at a dive shop can help you out; or ofcourse SP if you care about your "warranty".
Here is a screen grab of the MK2 EVO schematchs; you should be comfortable with the section on the right; mk2+ is a bit different but the idea is the same

here is the Mk2+ (a bit low quality)

View attachment 831344

a parallel question: around where you dive/live; don't you use M26 for 100% o2 tanks? or is that for your own personal tank?
You have been enormously helpful. Thank you so much for the detailed response and for the links provided.

Having looked around, it seems that if I were to source the adapter from the Australian site you linked (Link), even though that is geared at Yoke>DIN conversion (whereas I am looking to convert M26 to standard DIN), and then I followed the Mk2 service manual up to the preliminary stage of page 4 of the manual here (Link), then I could successfully convert the reg from an M26 to a standard DIN?

Looking at the service manual, this seems like I wouldn't need to go anywhere near the high pressure seat or the piston assembly. That is good - I am not service trained.

Grateful if anyone could confirm my thinking here and I will order the kit (I already have the tools at hand). My preference would be to convert rather than use the adapter.

Thanks in advance for all the expert insight.

Oh, and in answer to your question, the region I dive in (Philippines / Thailand / Vietnam) uses standard DIN for everything for air to 100% 02. I understand that the only region which uses an M26 for >40% is the EU.

As you want to use that regulator in a high O2 environment, I suggest you keep the following in mind.

With your conversion kit to a G5/8" thread (DIN) will come two O-Rings.
  • ScubaPro #01.050.158 - BS1806 015 - 1.78mm x 14.00mm | 85S - Made from Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM)
  • ScubaPro #01.050.428 - BS1806 111 - 2.62mm x 10.77mm | 85S - Made from Polyurethane Elastomer (PU)
On your M26 barrel you find the following O-Rings
  • ScubaPro #01.050.396 - BS1806 015 - 1.78mm x 14.00mm | 90S - Made from Fluorine Kautschuk Material (FKM)
  • ScubaPro #01.050.701 - BS1806 113 - 2.62mm x 13.94mm | 90S - Made from Fluorine Kautschuk Material (FKM)
Neither EPDM, nor PU are excellent in a high ppO2 environment. As you can see, you can reuse one of your FKM O-Rings, as it is the same size. The one that sits between your first stage and the cylinder valve however is a different size on your M26 barrel, compared to your DIN barrel.
I would suggest you change that O-Ring to a more suitable FKM, often called Viton, which is one of it's brand names.

This is assuming you have the indeed the MK2+ and not the MK2 EVO. On the MK2 EVO conversion kit you would find one more O-Ring, a very large thin one. This can be reused, as it has no sealing function.

Attachments

• MK2 Plus - Schematics (2009).pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 26
  • MK2 Plus Nitrox - Schematics (2006).pdf
    170.6 KB · Views: 26
understand that the only region which uses an M26 for >40% is the EU.
You can limit that to France... Never seen any M26 on German, Spanish, or Italian divers kits, although it's not unknown in these countries.

M26 was designed by Aqualung who petitioned to make it compulsory. If you want my honest opinion about it : M26 is a useless piece of junk.

Still, I'm compelled to use it : I'd say unless you find a tek oriented filling station, nobody will fill your tank with any mix above 40% O2, if your tank is not fitted with the damned contraption...

:mad:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom