Scubapro MKV Red Spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked about the red coating in the ScubaPro section and received this reply from ScubaPro Harry:

Generally speaking, at SCUBAPRO we've historically used red to ID an improved, inline running change spring. IE: MK10, AIR2 inflator spring, as examples. The red spay-paint on MK10 main springs, was again, an improved generation part/component. Red-spray-paint does not denote anti corrosion , nor anti ice.

The master beat me to it, I took pictures of a MK 6 spring (same as a MK 6) next to a MK 10. They look to be the same diameter and length, but the gage (if that's what the wire thickness is called on a spring) is thicker on the MK 6/5 than the MK 10

Last edited:
If any of the contributors to this thread would like one of these springs for experimental purposes, I have a half a dozen or more beyond my personal lifetime supply that I would be happy to supply for the cost of shipping which I believe is about $1.64. Just send me a PM and please report any findings for others interested.

....I just rebuilt a MK2, it has a blue painted spring.

I have taken apart in the last few days two MK2 -s that had blue springs (just a puff of blue on one side), but the usual cleaning (dish detergent and toothbrush) removed the paint as well, not just the old grease, so I can't supply a picture. Both MK2 -s are quite old (one from ~'80, the other maybe even older)

Back
Top Bottom