Scubapro O-ring Sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....unless you place the spring between the balance chamber and adjustment knob, like the 109. NJD....could we impose on you to take pictures of the parts as you had them arranged, except of course outside of the barrel? I have a feeling you basically rearranged the parts into a 109 configuration.

We need to get this guy into our other thread and hook him and his experiments up to some telemetry equipment. :D

c

I doubt if there is enough room to do any rearranging. I suspect the glue failed and allowed a little movement which is all it takes.

I ordered the Trident hp seat #A242 for $3.95 and the lp seat #A148 at $2.95 from my lds. With corperate donated o-rings and Trident seats I can service my first and second stage for 7 bucks.

....see why he has that moniker? Well done SS.

I ordered the Trident hp seat #A242 for $3.95 and the lp seat #A148 at $2.95 from my lds. With corperate donated o-rings and Trident seats I can service my first and second stage for 7 bucks.

That rocks!

Looks like I'm going shopping for a Trident dealer.

It would be interesting to see if you went to a dive shop that sells Scubapro and asked them to order the Trident regulator parts, would they just sell the Scubapro parts to you instead.

It would make sense: $7.50 for a genuine SP LP seat (that's what they cost here), $2.95 for an after market replacement. Just like the ink in your printer:D.

Wow… I’m a bonehead…but I’m always willing to share my bonehead moves so others can learn or find flaws in my logic…

It all started with a quest to learn what balanced VS unbalanced means in the performance of the reg.

Was told a few things by cyber divers & actually some instructors. This is where I’m at with my knowledgebase. Balanced 1st stage & Balanced 2nd stage have different impacts to the diver…

1st stage- Balanced means the tank pressure does not directly act upon the piston & Spring. So when tank pressure is reduced (Very low) it does not make the reg harder to breathe like the Unbalanced MK2. When tank pressure gets low, there is less ‘push’ on the piston/Spring to crack the seat open on the MK2 so breathing gets more difficult. I have experienced this when I suck my deco bottle down low (just as a buffer, CNS was within limits so why not just finish off the bottle) With a balanced 1st stage reg, this does not happen because of how the piston is setup and designed. And to the instructor that told me ‘unbalanced’ does not compensate for ambient pressure changes… I wish I can find you and tear up your C cards.

2nd stage. Balanced means that there is dynamic spring tension on the poppet and poppet length to compensate for the variations in IP. Meaning when IP is high, the pressure flows through the hole on the 2nd stage seat down the poppet and into the balance chamber. The balance chamber thus ‘pushes’ the seat harder against the orifice. When IP is lower the pressure lets up provides less ‘push’ against the orifice. Overall goal is to compensate in the fluctuations in IP.

So it made me think… If I have a MK25 that is balanced and provides incredible gas flow with very little IP drop… will a balanced 2nd stage really make that much difference. The only observable difference between the breathing my R390 and my S550 both hooked up to the MK25 was the R390 feels like a 3 position light switch… gas gets delivered and feels like either low flow, medium flow, or high flow. When my S550 feels like a smooth dimmer switch with no ‘choppy’ feeling. And when I say ‘Choppy’ it is so insignificant and unnoticeable that the regs almost breath the same.

So I said “F-it” let me glue the balance chamber on the S550 so it becomes unbalanced and see what happens if it’s really the reg being balanced, or just the design of the reg with an air barrel different poppet etc..

But the bonehead move is that you are 100% correct the poppet must collapse into the balance chamber in order for the seat to lift from the orifice. So my experiment is null. I dug through my shop garbage trying to find the poppet but did not have any luck. I do recall the purge not working at first and I had to work it a few times to get it to seat ok. I must have broke the glue and the balance chamber was fully functional.

Sorry to Hijack the thread. This forum is a bit different people will actually listen and provide good feedback. So thank you for helping me learn more about these things.

Dive safe

It would be interesting to see if you went to a dive shop that sells Scubapro and asked them to order the Trident regulator parts, would they just sell the Scubapro parts to you instead.

We shall see!

Of course, having recently moved to an area where I am unfamiliar to the local LDS's doesn't help my cause much. The old shop (in my former place of residence) I used to frequent sent me to classes and let me do my own work. Then the shop shut down and I wasn't smart enought to get them to order a truck's load of parts for me. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom