Question Scubapro reg identification help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cerulean

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all! I’m new to the forums and just recently happened to get my hands on an old Scubapro first and second stage. Serial number is 6700251.

It’s a beautiful second stage and the first stage is an absolute tank. I will upload pictures soon when I can!

I appreciate any information you all could provide!

Hey all! I’m new to the forums and just recently happened to get my hands on an old Scubapro first and second stage. Serial number is 6700251.

It’s a beautiful second stage and the first stage is an absolute tank. I will upload pictures soon when I can!

I appreciate any information you all could provide!
Serial number won't be much help, but once you have pictures up I'm sure one (or more) of us will have answers!

Respectfully,

James

Serial number won't be much help, but once you have pictures up I'm sure one (or more) of us will have answers!

Respectfully,

James
Thanks for the reply James! I should have taken more time before I posted to inspect the reg, because I see after looking at it a bit that it’s a mark VII. And after some googling it seems that this is a honker. Could you guys confirm? I’d love to know more about this reg too! I’m a younger diver in my thirties and I’ve never heard of these before today. Is it something that could be serviced and still used? If not the 1st stage, what about just the second stage? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpeg
    IMG_2416.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2417.jpeg
    IMG_2417.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2418.jpeg
    IMG_2418.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2419.jpeg
    IMG_2419.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2420.jpeg
    IMG_2420.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 106
Your reg was manufactured in 1967. This limits the type of first stage to a select few.

That first stage is a MK7 honker. Parts are difficult to come by for those.

Second stage can be serviced. I’ll let the vintage guys take over from here.

Thanks for the reply James! I should have taken more time before I posted to inspect the reg, because I see after looking at it a bit that it’s a mark VII. And after some googling it seems that this is a honker. Could you guys confirm? I’d love to know more about this reg too! I’m a younger diver in my thirties and I’ve never heard of these before today. Is it something that could be serviced and still used? If not the 1st stage, what about just the second stage? Would love to hear your thoughts.
I'm not vintage per se (only in my 40s), but I'm a vintage reg enthusiast. You're right about the MkVII, and they can be serviced... but very few shops will. They are no longer supported by the manufacturer, but after market solutions exist for most of it.
The second stage is a 109. More or less the forefather of most air barrel type second stages (read that as most modern seconds). Unbalanced, but adjustable and readily maintainable.... however see issues above about shop techs.
They MkVII may be a bit much for a first DIY attempt, but the 109 just begs for you to rebuild it yourself.
I'm not at a computer right now, but more to follow later.
Respectfully,

James

Your reg was manufactured in 1967. This limits the type of first stage to a select few.

That first stage is a MK7 honker. Parts are difficult to come by for those.
Scubapro introduced the 109 in 1969 & the MK7 in 1971.
As James notes, the SP vintage serial numbers are not usually coded to reveal date of manufacture at a glance.

That’s so cool! Thanks for the info. If I rebuilt the 109 is it something that I would enjoy using to dive or is it more of just something cool to have? I’ve never used anything older than the probably 15 year old reg I have now so I don’t really know what that would be like.

That’s so cool! Thanks for the info. If I rebuilt the 109 is it something that I would enjoy using to dive or is it more of just something cool to have? I’ve never used anything older than the probably 15 year old reg I have now so I don’t really know what that would be like.
My kids and I use them (and Aqualung Conshelf 2nds of the same vintage) and see no reason for anything newer.

Scubapro introduced the 109 in 1969 & the MK7 in 1971.
As James notes, the SP vintage serial numbers are not usually coded to reveal date of manufacture at a glance.
When did SP begin to code the serial number with the date?

When did SP begin to code the serial number with the date?
I have looked around to see if I could find out more about SP serial numbers, but not found much to work with.

Back
Top Bottom