SDI-how recognized?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing that kills me about SDI is that they don't teach tables. If you are a new diver and you don't have a computer, they kind of leave you hanging. Other than that, they are all pretty much the same. You will def have more emplyment opps w/ PADI.

Why are you doing DM training? If just to increase your skill and knowledge, then which agency doesn't matter.

If you are doing DM training in order to work as a DM, then you should be talking to prospective employers to find out if they care one way or the other.

Another thing you should research is the ease or difficulty of cross certifying later on --- for example, if you do SDI DM now, how much difficulty would it be to later get certified as a PADI DM. Since your instructor is both SDI and PADI, he'd be the person to ask first.

The thing that kills me about SDI is that they don't teach tables. If you are a new diver and you don't have a computer, they kind of leave you hanging. Other than that, they are all pretty much the same. You will def have more emplyment opps w/ PADI.

SDI will get you insurance that will cover PADI as well, its through Willis

SDI requires that the divers have computers for the course however if you are to better understand the computer you need to understand tables.

SDI most certainly does teach tables. It's part of the OW written examination.

Both are fine agencies and recognized worldwide. No need to bash the training diferences. SDI is computer focused at the BOW level, but SDI DM candidates are required to know the tables forward and backward.

Agree with the earlier posts in getting your instructor to certify you in both agencies. This gives you ultimate flexibility in whatever your future path may be. I have my insurance with Willis, and one policy will cover both agencies.

SDI most certainly does teach tables. It's part of the OW written examination.

Tables are taught more as a historical reference. I go pretty in depth in my classes on them but computers are really pushed and required for all diving activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom