SDI V's PADI - IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a NAUI instructor because I like their philosophies, and although I teach a lot it is not my primary income. I advise my isntructor canidates that if they plan on making a living in the industry, representing more than one agency is not a bad idea. I also suggest that PADI being one of the agencies is a good idea. They are everywhere, and they are extreamly good marketers.

I'm in a somewhat unique position on this subject, because for reasons I won't get into here, I've taken basic SCUBA and Open Water certifications from FOUR different agencies in my lifetime. I was originally certified by NASDS in 1979, dove regularly for a few years, then gave it up until 2006, when I took a "discover diving" trip with my son while on a cruise. That got us both back into the idea of doing it again, but it was 2011 before we could pursue it. In 2011, I bought "package" equipment/training deals from a local dive shop, but this time it was NASE. We finished the pool dives, but got delayed on the Open Water dives, and the shop changed hands TWICE before we were able to get back to it. The new owners wouldn't honor the original deal, so we had to start over, having bought all of the equipment. In 2014, I took a PADI SCUBA certification on a cruise, now I've finished the PADI Open Water "bump" course, but I did it at a shop that does both PADI and SDI, and their main focus is on SDI. Since I went with my son, I actually did go through the whole SDI course from beginning to end, the instructors were certified for both, but while my son will get an SDI card, mine will be PADI. In practice, I think I saved $50.

The experience has been quite interesting. I found that the training is basically the same for all of them, allowing for differences in the instructors. The SDI course does not teach tables at ALL, but the PADI OWD class does, using either paper RDP or eRDPml. I learned the paper RDP from the book, and have apps for my tablet that do the calculations, but I did buy a basic computer, so I doubt I'll ever use the tables again, and I hear even PADI is going to phase them out. The SDI class loaned everyone computers for the pool and OW dives, but didn't really teach much about them, which bugged me a little.

Overall, I think the BEST overall training was the NASDS course I took in 1979. It wasn't even labeled as an "Open Water" course, but it covered more material in depth, over more classroom and pool sessions. The current SDI class is good as well, but only slightly better than the the PADI and NASE ones, mainly due to the skill of the instructors, who were easily the most experienced I've ever had. I feel like all of the current courses try to rush students through the critical stuff, and push some of the topics toward later "advanced" courses.
My recommendation is to go and talk to the instructors and go with whoever you think is the best fit, and not worry TOO much about the agency. I understand NASE is a bit late to the game, and not as well regarded as the others, but they're teaching the same stuff, in the same ways.

One of the things I was concerned about was that the shop offers advanced certs like Nitrox from both agencies, but the SDI version is cheaper and easier (to take, not in terms of content). I'd rather take the advanced classes with my son than have him take SDI and me take PADI, but I was told it really doesn't matter. We can both get Nitrox cert via SDI and go from there. Not sure about the other classes though.

After the OP made those two lifetime posts seven years ago, he apparently regained his senses and went into politics instead.

After the OP made those two lifetime posts seven years ago, he apparently regained his senses and went into politics instead.

Haha!

I wonder if the OP found his half-off savings with SDI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom