Sea Hunt 50th anniversary dives at Silver Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain

Contributor
Reaction score
This Memorial weekend myself and 19 other vintage divers participated in recreating the Sea Hunt era in Silver Springs. About 100 episodes of the series were filmed in Silver Springs.

No recreational divers have been allowed to dive in Silver Springs for decades. Depictions of the underwater fight scenes were preformed for the passengers of the glass bottom boats and visitors could view a display of Sea Hunt memorabilia and vintage diving equipment.

Scuba group descends with 'Sea Hunt'-era gear | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL

Sounds like you guys had a great time! wish we could have been there!!!

I have dove most of the springs and caves of Florida and much prefer ocean diving but with that said, this was an amazing experience. I had floated above in the glass bottom boats as a child but never was able to dive or even snorkel there until this weekend. Thank you to everybody involved and especially to Silver Springs. As I entered the cavern and then turned to see the VERY SAME VIEW I had etched into my mind from watching Sea Hunt since a child (in re-run), I was speechless, well, in fact I was speechless. I have to rate it as one of my top dives. Not because the spring is better or more beautiful than others but simply because this is holy ground, er, water. This is where a generation was facinated with knife fights and bad guys and the good guys always won against a melodramtic narrative from Mike Nelson and the gloomy but inspiring musical score. I hate the over used word "awesome" but in this case, it truly fits.

Here "Captain" Tom Madre peeks into the cavern, framed by this huge, gapping opening, a classic Sea Hunt view.

IMG_0218.jpg

(Canon 570IS, Canon DC12, Inon D2000, Inon UFL165AD lens, auto exposure)

It was great to dive with so many accomplised divers and vintage enthusiasts. The rules were simple, vintage gear of the Sea Hunt era only, no BCs, no spgs, no modern equipment, no computers, nothing that would not have been used in a Sea Hunt episode. Amazing.

We are there for you Mike Nelson because you were there for us.

N
NAVED Master Diver

Last edited:
I have dove most of the springs and caves of Florida and much prefer ocean diving but with that said, this was an amazing experience. I had floated above in the glass bottom boats as a child but never was able to dive or even snorkel there until this weekend. Thank you to everybody involved and especially to Silver Springs. As I entered the cavern and then turned to see the VERY SAME VIEW I had etched into my mind from watching Sea Hunt since a child (in re-run), I was speechless, well, in fact I was speechless. I have to rate it as one of my top dives. Not because the spring is better or more beautiful than others but simply because this is holy ground, er, water. This is were a generation was facinated with knife fights and bad guys and the good guys always won against a melodramtic narrative from Mike Nelson and the gloomy but inspiring musical score. I hate the over used word "awesome" but in this case, it truly fits.

Here "Captain" Tom Madre peeks into the cavern, framed by this huge, gapping opening, a classic Sea Hunt view.

IMG_0218.jpg

(Canon 570IS, Canon DC12, Inon D2000, Inon UFL165AD lens, auto exposure)

It was great to dive with so many accomplised divers and vintage enthusiasts. The rules were simple, vintage gear of the Sea Hunt era only, no BCs, no spgs, no modern equipment, no computers, nothing that would not have been used in a Sea Hunt episode. Amazing.

We are there for you Mike Nelson because you were there for us.

N

I think I remember that shooting location. Was that the one were they thought the cave was cursed and he got banged around real good trying to go in, but saw a mermaid just before he passed out?

Speaking of Sea Hunt, for those of you that did not know this, we did a special Sea Hunt 50th Anniversary Podcast with Jeff Bridges here:

Underwater Videographer

Another shot, diver drifts in the current above the cavern opening, double 72s, completely neutral and relaxed without any modern "extras." This kind of control and skill is hard to find in divers today who rely so exclusively upon equipment to assist them, equipment which would have spoiled the adventure completely.

IMG_0300.jpg

(Canon 570IS, DC12, Inon D2000 strobe, Inon UFL165AD lens, strobe off, auto exposure)

N

Last edited:
Did you see the kids that were trapped in there? Or how about all that nitro that Mike packed in there to blow up the pinnacle that was a hazard to shipping? See any "enemy" submarines or "frogmen?" Any (exhaust) air hoses get cut?

Damn! I'm SO jealous. I loved Sea Hunt as a kid and have DVD set that I watch now.

I'm convinced that, without Sea Hunt, there wouldn't be half of the LDS there are now. That show really popularized the sport.

Congrats and many thanks for sharing your moment with us.

Look's like a lot of fun. Do you dive your vintage gear pretty regularly or is it just for these types of occasions?

I pretty much dive my double hose regulators exclusively. Depending on need I may add an SPG and/or BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom