Sea Hunt 50th anniversary dives at Silver Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few more shots, the basin above and below:

IMG_0274.jpg

A vintage diver bares his weapon, an original Vulcan knife:

IMG_0291.jpg

A boat wanders by overhead:

IMG_0375_edited-1.jpg

A glass bottom boats investigates the action:

IMG_0298.jpg

The famous "Sea Hunt" Jerry exits the cavern:

IMG_0334.jpg

Let's get some pictures:

IMG_0206.jpg

and

IMG_0319.jpg

and

IMG_0216.jpg

A B&W version:

IMG_0291_edited-1.jpg

All taken with Canon 570IS.

N

Nice shots Captain, Nemrod, wish I could have been there. I barely remember to Seahunt shows but no doubt they had some influence in my wanting to dive. Love the photos, post some more if you have them.

Look's like a lot of fun. Do you dive your vintage gear pretty regularly or is it just for these types of occasions?

There are a fair number of us who rebuild and dive the old regs. I dive them on occasion and am presently on Roatan diving an old double hose....and getting a lot of questions. The bright yellow hoses do draw attention. We have vintage dive meets from time to time, the next one is at Protage Quarry in Aug. If your close by, drop by and check out the old gear.

I didn't know that cannon made a dive camera in that era though! (I know I'm a Smart@$$) I remember going to silver springs when I was a kid. Seeing the pictures brings me back. I've never seen the show (I had a deprived childhood) but I did watch a lot of snorks. Maybe that spurred my diving. I would like to go to one of those vintage meets, but I doubt I will be able to make.

Wow, what memories this brings back. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. As a kid growing up in Florida, our family would stop at Silver Springs (and Six Gun Territory...anyone else remember that?). I can honestly say that riding the glass bottom boats at Silver Springs was my introduction, to what diving must be like. There used to be huge catfish that would roam the springs. They would throw a piece of bread over to them, and the boat captain called over the speaker as if the catfish were playing football with it. Great memories. I really envy you guys getting to dive there. Thanks for the great pictures.
This Memorial weekend myself and 19 other vintage divers participated in recreating the Sea Hunt era in Silver Springs. About 100 episodes of the series were filmed in Silver Springs.

Wow! That looked like fun! Great pics and info-thank you for sharing on Scaryboard:D
A great tribute for a show that inspired many, and continues to do so.

Poog:coffee:

This Memorial weekend myself and 19 other vintage divers participated in recreating the Sea Hunt era in Silver Springs. About 100 episodes of the series were filmed in Silver Springs.

No recreational divers have been allowed to dive in Silver Springs for decades. Depictions of the underwater fight scenes were preformed for the passengers of the glass bottom boats and visitors could view a display of Sea Hunt memorabilia and vintage diving equipment.

Scuba group descends with 'Sea Hunt'-era gear | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL

Please excuse my ignorance on this area, but why is diving not allowed in Silver Springs?:confused:
BTW- Awesome photos! :banana:

It is allowed from time to time, obviously it was allowed for Mike Nelson. The head sping is within the theme park of Silver Springs and thus private property and diving is not normally allowed. Since the river is a navigable waterway not sure how they keep people out. I imagine the state ignores their own laws. Best I know only very limited diving occurs there. N

Thanks for the story!! I wish I would have known about that I would have loved to come and see it. And yes GLENFWB I remember six gun territory!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom