Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, chances are a remake of Sea Hunt would be a poor imitation of the original, just as all the remakes of Flipper have been lame compared to the original.

Rather than a TV show, it might be better to be a movie instead. Maybe on the Sci-Fi Channel.

My dad would always talk about sea hunt and how much he loved it as a kid. I just got a sea hunt dvd set on ebay and look forward to watching it with him. I've been trying to talk him into getting certified, hopefully Mike Nelson will provide the final nudge!

I was just wondering. I never grew up with sea hunt, but I always here the older guys talk about how sea hunt got them into diving. I just think it would be a good way to get a new generation of divers interested in the sport. I know if I was a TV producer I would pitch it too a tv station.

I’m so excited that I can hardly get my breath and I probably will have trouble sleeping tonight. You see I have just previewed an episode of Sea Hunt and it went like this:

Mike Nelson was diving off Catalina Island with a cute chick (probably Zale Parry) and he received a frantic call from a mine foreman 1500 miles inland. He rushed to the scene in a two engine propeller plane and got right to work. An explosion had killed 30 men and knocked out the elevator in the mine shaft. Mike’s job was to go 1000 meters into the flooded mine to determine if a watertight door had held. If so they would repair the present shaft, if not a new shaft would have to be dug. There were no survivors and most of the bodies had been recovered.

Mike was lowered down the shaft by rope and had to walk a quarter mile to where the flood started. Of course rocks were still falling and the mine made all kinds of weird noises. He wore a single steel tank and a double hose regulator. He had no reel line and only a single “high intensity search light” to explore the murky depths. He maintained a perfect vertical trim and propelled himself hard and fast with a wide flutter kick. Amazingly (probably through immense skill) he stirred no silt.

Throughout the dive he heard a steady tap-tap-tap sound. As he neared the watertight obstruction the tapping became louder. Mike ascended into an air pocket and there were two trapped miners. Alas, he only had enough air in the “lung” to carry one out. The first one panicked and caused him to drop his knife and light. So he carried that one back to the air pocket and picked up the other one. Needless to say they made it to safety. But, there wasn’t enough gas in Mike’s tank to go back and get the other guy.

So, with MacGyver like finesse, Mike located an acetylene/oxygen torch, returned to the shaft and located the foreman’s tool kit and modified his double hose regulator to fit the oxygen cylinder. Mike slung the commercial oxygen cylinder over his shoulder and went back and fetched the second miner just in time.
My heart is still racing!

Last edited:
It was Zale Parry and it was the second episode ever aired - Flooded Mine.

You mean that wasn't covered in YOUR rescue diver class???

Didn't Mike also give one of the guys he was rescuing his mask? If he didn't in that episode, he did in another. The guy's got sonar... don't need no steenkin' mask to see in the dark... just a BFK and away we go!

But no worry... If they get "rapture of the deep" they've got a decompression chamber they can put them in. :rofl3:

So much fun to watch!

[Oh, and I believe she is Zale Parry, with an "a" in the last name instead of an "e".... Still a lovely lady.]

I’m so excited that I can hardly get my breath and I probably will have trouble sleeping tonight. You see I have just previewed an episode of Sea Hunt and it went like this:

Mike Nelson was diving off Catalina Island with a cute chick (probably Zale Parry) and he received a frantic call from a mine foreman 1500 miles inland. He rushed to the scene in a two engine propeller plane and got right to work. An explosion had killed 30 men and knocked out the elevator in the mine shaft. Mike’s job was to go 1000 meters into the flooded mine to determine if a watertight door had held. If so they would repair the present shaft, if not a new shaft would have to be dug. There were no survivors and most of the bodies had been recovered.

Mike was lowered down the shaft by rope and had to walk a quarter mile to where the flood started. Of course rocks were still falling and the mine made all kinds of weird noises. He wore a single steel tank and a double hose regulator. He had no reel line and only a single “high intensity search light” to explore the murky depths. He maintained a perfect vertical trim and propelled himself hard and fast with a wide flutter kick. Amazingly (probably through immense skill) he stirred no silt.

Throughout the dive he heard a steady tap-tap-tap sound. As he neared the watertight obstruction the tapping became louder. Mike ascended into an air pocket and there were two trapped miners. Alas, he only had enough air in the “lung” to carry one out. The first one panicked and caused him to drop his knife and light. So he carried that one back to the air pocket and picked up the other one. Needless to say they made it to safety. But, there wasn’t enough gas in Mike’s tank to go back and get the other guy.

So, with MacGyver like finesse, Mike located an acetylene/oxygen torch, returned to the shaft and located the foreman’s tool kit and modified his double hose regulator to fit the oxygen cylinder. Mike slung the commercial oxygen cylinder over his shoulder and went back and fetched the second miner just in time.

Last edited:

blah--blah--lol

Sounds reasonable to me. BTW, when I took my first "scuba lessons" in 1966 the intructor, LA Country/NAUI referred to the SCUBA as a "lung" and that still was a common useage and the manufacturers did as well, Aqua Lung, Water Lung, Voit Lung etc.

I find it diffucult to believe you would doubt Mike's ability to rig his double hose to an oxygen tank, he learned that when he was in the Special Double Secret Frogman Unit in the Navy, everyone knows that.

N

Yeah, chances are a remake of Sea Hunt would be a poor imitation of the original, just as all the remakes of Flipper have been lame compared to the original.

Rather than a TV show, it might be better to be a movie instead. Maybe on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Just a quick aside.......it's been over a year now since the first season of Flipper came out on DVD, and no second season yet. Seems there hasn't been sufficient interest in the first season to justify releasing the second:confused:. Plenty of vintage diving in the original Flipper show. In fact, I was too young for Sea Hunt, and Flipper was part of the motivation for me to take up diving.
If you don't have your copy of season one yet, why not get over to Amazon and buy it? I know a lot of the rest of us are patiently waiting for season two to come out already, and maybe more purchases will help that to happen. (There were three seasons)

I just ordered the first season of Flipper for $19.95. It will be a great addition to our Friday Night at the Movies parties. Thanks for the heads-up.

Back
Top Bottom