Sea scooter /dpv choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how does the runtime compare to your blacktip, running at the same speeds and vs the blacktip with 12ah batteries?
I only have 9ah batteries in the Blacktip and it's about on par for run time/speed between them

One of the big things I like with the scubajet over the Blacktip is that the Scubajet has the display that shows a quite accurate run time remaining gauge, that once you get to zero there is about 10 minutes remaining (bit like a cars fuel gauge) before it just stops.

The Blacktips battery gauge is pretty average and if you have a battery imbalance issue, as a lot do, you have to disable the imbalance setting that in turn disables the battery gauge and it just read 100% all the time.

The new Lefeet scooters just dropped on Kickstarter, they look nice!
https://lefeet-p1-versatile-underwater.kckb.st/c37652bf
No they don't

As I wrote in the other thread

I always find the claims in these campaigns to be exaggerated and misleading and they never give all the details to be able to fact check them, i.e some kind of run time graph showing true battery depletion over run time.

If we do some basic maths, the 90 minute run time would mean that you could never go past 0.28 meters a second!

From the comment section:
"1. Battery Life:

The motor power will be limited to 500W for the 100Wh battery; running at the highest speed lasts about 30 minutes. You can get the most extended battery life at the lowest speed.

On the other hand, the motor power activates up to 1000W for the 160Wh battery. The speed and battery life will increase accordingly, depending on the environment, flow velocity, load, etc.
"

Battery = 160Wh

Max Speed 2.3m/s = 1000w
160/1000 = 16 minutes run time

50% speed 1.15m/s = 500w
160/500 = 32 minutes run time

25% Speed 0.57m/s = 250w
160/250 = 64 minutes run time

12.5% speed 0.28m/s = 125w
160/125 = 128 minutes run time

So realistically, its typical run time will only be around 30-40 minutes at best! (and that's probably being generous, given the lower efficiency of the propeller at low speed it will be way less.)

"With a weight of 5 pounds, LEFEET P1 will unleash its full potential as it propels you through the underwater adventure at an incredible speed of up to 2.3 meters per second or 5.1 miles per hour"

So that should actually read 5.1 miles per hour for no more than 16 minutes.
And as some people will reads the specs to mean it could do 7.6 miles given the "90 minute" run time claim, in absolutely best conditions, at it longest run time, it could maybe do around a total of 0.93 miles (1.5Km) in total distance.

As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, well it probably isn't!

With the Scubajet Pro (the two battery setup (200w total battery) I can get roughly an hour at around 45% speed.

I only have 9ah batteries in the Blacktip and it's about on par for run time/speed between them

One of the big things I like with the scubajet over the Blacktip is that the Scubajet has the display that shows a quite accurate run time remaining gauge, that once you get to zero there is about 10 minutes remaining (bit like a cars fuel gauge) before it just stops.

The Blacktips battery gauge is pretty average and if you have a battery imbalance issue, as a lot do, you have to disable the imbalance setting that in turn disables the battery gauge and it just read 100% all the time.
Great to know!

That is a nice feature. My old blacktip liked to suddenly die on me... its since been sold
The scubajet pros seem pretty nice for assisting a quick recreational dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom