Sea&Sea YS-60/90/120 flashes for E-PL5? (or any other cost-efficient TTL solution)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made it. As long as the photosensor in the front "sees" the internal flash, it's good. 'not sure if you looked at the HW products, but they also make a hotshoe/bulkhead adapter kit that looks interesting.

Did you make the cradle that is holding the adapter or did it come with the adapter?

I made it. As long as the photosensor in the front "sees" the internal flash, it's good. 'not sure if you looked at the HW products, but they also make a hotshoe/bulkhead adapter kit that looks interesting.

Are you talking about this one:

HW

No, I have not. The HW web site pretty much says it all, and probably has the manual posted. It connects/converts the camera hot shoe to a bulkhead that you install thru your housing that you can connect the S&S cable to.

Have you used it yourself? (I am not sure of how it works)

@BurhanMuntasser: Nope, you're not missing anything. On housings that do not already have a bulkhead installed you'd have to drill a hole.

I thought about going this route with my coolpix P5000 and a fantasea housing, but opted for the digital adapter instead and it has worked a treat with my YS-60 for the last few years. I figured at 90€ (price at the time for the DA adapter) it was worth trying before buying a bulkhead adapter and drilling a hole into the housing, and I'm glad I did.

According to HW's site, the DA is compatible with the E-PL3, the E-PM1 and the E-P3 and according to DSR-3 in post #8 it's compatible with the E-PL1. Unless Oly dramatically changed something in the following upgrade (which is unlikely) it should also be compatible in the E-PL5.

IMO, if you already have one of these older YS strobes it'd be worth getting the adapter and plying around with. If not you might be better off shelling out a bit more for a newer strobe that will work out of the box and will give you more control over the flash output.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom