Sealife DC500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked

Extreme Non-poster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've decided to try me hand at photography. Ive rented cameras in the past but they were cheap, and the pics didn't come out too well. I've been looking at the DC500 from Sealife, with an external flash they sell for under $700 and thought it might be good for a beginner. Anyone have any experence with this camera?

The camera had an external strobe. I highly recommend the external strobe.

Some of my shots turned out really nice. Since I was new to the equipment, some of my shots didn't turn out very well at all.

Overall, I was happy with the camera.

On the down side, the battery only lasted about 1.5 dives, so you might want to see if a larger battery is available.

I plan to buy this model sometime next year.

I have the DC500 pro. I've had issues but it is an easy camera to use and you will like the pictures.

I just posted regarding this camera. I have had nothing but problems with it from the beginning. I purchased it last Jan. I went to Cozumel and the camera kept freezing up both on land and underwater. When I returned home from my vacation I went to the lds where I purchased it and they gave me a brand new one. This one is worse than the first one. It freezes up when I'm snapping a picture and now it freezes up right after I turn it on. I'm going to try to get my money back. It has now ruined 2 of my vacations. I'm pissed.

I have this camera and love it. I too had some issues until I upgraded the firmware. My biggest recommendation would be to pay the extra for the digital strobe (It is black) instead of the regular yellow one. That way you can adjust the output of the strobe. As soon as they get the gallery up and running again I will upload some pictures from our recent trip to Saba and Statia.

Care to give some examples Micahjt? Currently being a newbie and all Im finding it hard to get something that would be better and within the same price range (assuming you're meaning a camera that includes a strobe). I probably just dont know where to look...

I think you will find the camera nazi group doesn't understand that some of us are just starting out, and don't want to be a photojournalist who has to set settings and worry about all the other stuff. I bought this camera in may and have used it in the murky soup of the Midwest lakes and really like it!!!! I think the only issue is mostly operator error and battery life. I would recommend it.

LOL, ya I'm trying to filter through all the mixed signals from the various sides on this board. The photo nazis as you say, as well as the helpful understanding experienced divers and lastly the newbies like me. It's starting to give me a headache to the point where I'm about to say screw it to underwater photos, mighta been a nice pipe dream but the whole "setting adjustment" and all the crazy lingo is starting to get to me. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom