sealife DC500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pammyk

Reaction score
I purchased the Sealife DC500 last January and have nothing but problems with it. The main problem that I am having seems to be the camera freezing up. It used to happen after I snapped a picture either on land or under water. Now, not only do I have that problem but a new problem has now begun and that is whenever I turn the camera on...sometimes it will freeze before anything at all happens. I was given a new camera a few weeks (and after my first dive trip with the camera) after I purchased it last February. It has never worked right from the beginning. Has anyone else purchased this camera and had these sorts of problems? I am going to try to get my money back ($500). What type of camera do you recommend? My friend has the Canon S70 with the housing and he absolutely loves it...AND...it takes fantastic pictures. Thanks for any help I can get.

Pam

Ugh, and here I was considering that camera.

Just to get the story straight, your camera was freezing up, and then you were given an entirely new DC500 and it was buggy as well?

Hey Pam

I also have a 500. I had the 310 and loved it but dropped it! My fault! So I brought the 500. I have the same type issue with the freezing but I thought it was me until I read this note. Let everyone know if they agree that there is a problem with the camera. I really loved my 310 but don't really like the 500.

Yes...this is the second one...they gave me a brand new one. I used it on land for 6 months. I called sealife directly and spoke with them about it. They suggested to me to buy the 512 memory card instead of the 1 gig and it still froze up twice within that 6 month period. Then I took it to Cozumel last week and it started acting crazier and crazier and developed that second problem. It has now ruined 2 of my trips. It just upsets me so much to think of how many photo opportunities I missed. I sure hope they give me my money back. I bought it at my local dive shop and they know me pretty well in there.

Go to the SeaLife wesite and follow the instructions for downloading and installing the firmware update. Some early versions had this problem and you brobably got a camera that was sitting around for awhile in the store.

Once the update is installed, you will find the camera takes excellent pictures.

Yep. Upgrading your firmware to the PIE.5 version should completely solve the problems. It is easy to do too!

I have this camera and love it. Easy to use, easy navigation and a nice auto exposure mode for underwater, even without the strobe. I think it is a good basic underwater setup, and well suited for the average underwater photographer

For $500 I don't think you'd find a better deal that the Canon A620 with Canon WP-DC90 housing, retails together for ~$400 I believe..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom