Sealife Micro HD vs Gopro Hero 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel a little stupid about my apparently obvious and dangerous question. But I will follow the advice of everyone and not use a camera.
It's NOT obvious until you have seen novices trying to use cameras. There is a lot of cool stuff done with underwater video and cameras, but they add complexity and distractions and a new diver doesn't need either.

I bought a camera a few years ago. I found that I prefer the zen like qualities of my dives and to see them first hand rather than through a viewer. That said, I still might take a shot or two in the future. In that regard, I'd been hoping to see this thread produce some good info on a comparison the two.

Last edited:
mattdust-Forgetting your experience level etc and focussing on your question.
My wife has the Intova version of the Go pro and just loves it.
I have a go pro silver edition WITH A DIVE CASING.
This is the important bit with go pro. You must use the correct dive casing for it.
At the depths you will be diving you MIGHT get away with the standard"waterproof" casing but I wouldn't risk it.
im happy with the go pro as it sits in my BCD pocket till the odd occasion I see something that catches my eye.
I happen to agree with all the other posters that YOU shouldn't be taking any pictures.
BUT theres no reason you couldn't ask the dive shop doing your training if they would mind taking a picture or two of your training.
A DM not involved in your training I bet would jump at the chance to log an extra dive or two.

I have not used the Sea Life but I have and have used a GoPro. I have also used a Canon G11 in a Canon Housing with external flash for 'proper' photography.

The GoPro has produced great pictures and video, and actually is fairly simple - just point and switch on, you could mount it on something and use it fixed, or use a Goodman handle and just point in the direction you want to shoot. But that for me is the downside of my GoPro, I can't see or compose what I am shooting because I don't have the video back on mine.

It looks like the Sea Life lets you see in real time what you are capturing, so that for me would be a plus. However as a newer diver therein lies the danger :)

If you have a GoPro and switch it on and leave it through your dive it won't distract you too much. But if you take the Sea Life camera along and spend your time looking at the screen, altering controls and faffing around composing, that is when you are at risk of loosing control of your dive management - whether it be depth, time, buoyancy or your buddy !

So I would echo what others have said - for any serious photography wait until you are completely instinctive with your diving so you don't have to concentrate on it, then start to pursue photography when you are. But if you just want to record the dive for posterity, then by all means buy a GoPro, strap it on somewhere fixed, switch it on and leave it alone during the dive. Don't even think about it until afterwards, don't fiddle with the controls, or do any more than point it in the right direction, and you will be fine PROVIDED you don't get tempted to do any more than that right now until you are more experienced.

My GoPro housing has never been a problem, it has been to 40m several times, after each dive I just religiously clean the salt water off, remove, clean and re-lubricate the o-ring when I take the camera out, and I have never had moisture in it.

I have also seen new divers engrossed in cameras have uncontrolled ascents, lose buddies, and in one case get so engrossed in what they were doing they forgot to monitor their air and had run very low before they discovered it. They had to call their dive and make an ascent to the surface accompanied by a DM to make sure they didn't run out on the way up !

So it genuinely is not just old fogeys trying to spoil your fun - cameras cause all sorts of problems - but so long as you understand the risks you will be fine. P

Phil C are you using the factory supplied Go pro housing or the actual DIVE housing you buy as a separate part?
Genuine question dude. I heard so many leak stories about the factory housing that I just wasn't prepared to risk it.

Thanks guys for the reassurance, I won't be diving with a camera this time around, and when I feel I can handle it I will go with the Gopro ONLY when I am sufficiently comfortable with my equipment and surroundings. Thanks for all the advice anyway!

Phil C are you using the factory supplied Go pro housing or the actual DIVE housing you buy as a separate part?
Genuine question dude. I heard so many leak stories about the factory housing that I just wasn't prepared to risk it.

Frosty - it was a factory supplied housing as part of the package I bought. It was sold as a GoPro with dive housing all in one box. It did come with an interchangeable back door, with ventilation holes in it. So as far as I know it is just the factory waterproof dive housing. I think it said it was rated to 30m on the box :)

The dive centre I go to also uses GoPro's with the students for underwater video courses they run, and again as far as I know zero failures or leaks, but then again every dive they wash them off, clean the O ring and the grove it sits in, and re lube it before putting it back. - Phil.

Agree with others about not using camera on first dives. It would be a lot like texting while driving, with eyes focused only on one thing...you would miss a lot of what is around you.

Having said that, I purchased and used a SeaLife Reefmaster Mini camera on my 7th dive, which came 2 years after my 6th dive. Purchased a SeaLife 1200 in 2011 and have taken a camera on almost every dive I've done. Those that I didn't, I didn't miss it and felt that the dives were more relaxing and my air consumption was less. As you become more experienced with a camera, those things should happen.

My buddy has a GoPro which he holds. I best describe his style as swimming with one arm extended aiming the camera at whatever he sees. He records in segments. After years of diving together, I've yet to see him put anything together for people to look at. He will say he got a great video of a spotted eagle ray and then has to search through segments of video to find it (of course he's searching through 100's of clips if he downloads all of the dives we did after a trip.)

But if you take the Sea Life camera along and spend your time looking at the screen, altering controls and faffing around composing, that is when you are at risk of loosing control of your dive management - whether it be depth, time, buoyancy or your buddy!

I have used my SeaLife with a strobe flash, a strobe/video light combination, and presently only a video light (the camera does have its own flash.) There is the buoyancy issue to be aware of depending on what you use. I guess my style is swimming with camera and hands against my chest (my version of crossed arms.) When I see something that I may want to take a picture of I extend my arms and camera, and swim into position. The SeaLife comes on immediately with push button. It does time out if you don't use it for a few minutes, but it does come on instantly. There is a big screen that allows you to see what you're taking a picture of. The main controls I use are zoom and alternating between still/video which is very easy with a large button. I often switch from still to video while looking at the same thing, such as a pod of dolphins swimming at me! Very easy to do. Just don't get caught up staring through the screen!

The one thing I'll say is, compared to my buddy's video clips, it's easier to share photos (text, email, Facebook,etc.) I'm a retired teacher and I could keep rotating my classroom display of photos through the year (although not all of my students thought I really took them!)

Also use the SeaLife as a land camera. Works very well and I get great picture quality. Have used video mode on rides like Test Track at Epcot.
Can't say anything about the new SeaLife sealed in the housing, but know it has some nice features (bluetooth transfer.)

Take a look at the pictures posted on SB and see if the posters can tell you what they used. I have a few in some of my posts on other threads. Determine which camera will give you the quality and flexibility you are looking for?

Good luck!

I have a GoPro 4 Silver with the standard GoPro waterproof housing which is rated to 40m. I have taken it to 38m freediving and have not had any issues with it. Obviously I did not spend long at 38m but it has gone through multiple short dives to that depth.

I know there were issues with some of the earlier versions where the door could come open - I think due to the design of the closure?? I have also heard of GoPro 4s drowning - but on the whole related to lack of maintenance (looking after the O ring).

I am happy with my GoPro but am contemplating getting the 60m housing which I have heard is now available (I am extending my free dives a bit more).

Below is a clip I filmed with the GoPro4 in the standard housing. I had the camera head-mounted so apologies for the jerky nature of the footage. The deepest point on these dives (several freedives joined together) was 36m. I didn't use a filter or lights and I have not played with the footage at all in post-production so you can see how the GoPro handles the lack of light at depth and the fact that reds and oranges are cut out first as you go deeper.

[video]https://youtu.be/2U9AUxT0hz0[/video]

Determine which camera will give you the quality and flexibility you are looking for?

Good luck!

thats what makes me think that I should get a gopro, the flexibility is worth it to me.

At what point do you guys think it wouldn't be a bad idea to strap a Gopro to my head, not playing with it during dives, but just having it film for the entirety of the dive. Maybe dive 20? Dive 35? Possibly 12?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom