Seasickness meds for 8 year olds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at taking a couple 8 year olds on a boat for what should be a 5 hour trip. Don't know if they will get seasick but one has had motion sickness issues with riding in the backseat on twisty roads.

Suggestions for what to take to try to prevent it?

I've taken Bonine with good effect but that is not available for children. I see they have Dramamine for kids.

Thoughts? Wondering what has been effective.

Thanks for your help.

Ginger helps a little. There are cookies, candies, and other kid-friendly delivery methods. Some people swear by those pressure-point wristbands, though they've never worked for me. I find the most important thing besides meds is being up on deck where I can see the horizon and feel the breeze on my face.

ETA: Not sure a 5-hour boat ride is the best time to find out if a kid gets seasick. Can you start with something shorter?

Look into seasickness or motion sickness wrist bands. They helped my dad get through a 3 day fishing trip on an 80 ft boat in the pacific. That was 25 years ago so I can't give any brand details.

Look into seasickness or motion sickness wrist bands. They helped my dad get through a 3 day fishing trip on an 80 ft boat in the pacific. That was 25 years ago so I can't give any brand details.
Sea-Bands - I have a family member who uses that brand.

Thanks all for the suggestions and still open to suggestions.

They make Dramamine for kids but it's not available anywhere for a while. OK, so far I bought some herbal lollipops and the Sea Bands.

EDIT: The wife just came home and shows the normal Dramamine chewables are also for children of 6 years or older. Now to decide which thing to use...

@Esprise Me No choice to ease them into it or test it with a shorter run. I'll be trying to focus looking out the front rather than the side and getting to the middle of the pendulum if possible to minimize the roll and keeping the cool breeze blowing on us as you mention. Then talking to them and keeping them occupied doing something to distract them as much as possible because that works sometimes on car drives.

I second the patch. If your kids get car sick, real chance they will be miserable for 5 hrs. Speak with your pediatrician and see if the patch is an option.

You can also get scopolamine equivalent pills through a compounding pharmacy, or purchase on ebay Kwells. They do make a "kids" version that is simply a half dose. At least in my area (Seattle, Washington), the compounding pharmacy is more expensive than purchasing Kwells via ebay.

Patches can get quite expensive if repeatedly used, and don't make a lot of sense for a single day trip.

Thoughts? Wondering what has been effective.
All the posters above have given excellent suggestions
But how will you know in ADVANCE if it works ??
My solution ??? Give them the treatment.........
Then find one of these and TEST it !!

Merry-Go-Round.jpg

OR Watch them do these...

bat.jpg

Back
Top Bottom