Season Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were planning on going back to Roatan again next June, but cannot fit in a trip then since we're circling the globe too much in the next 12 months.

We'd like to make it soon rather than later instead.

Ok, so the question is, what is Roatan like in February?

Does it generally rain constantly?

Are the seas rougher than in the summer? (south side)

June seemed the perfect time to go, but just doesn't work this time.

Better than the weather in NYC and DC, lol. Go and have fun. No hurricanes.:wink:

It very seldom rains all day any time of the year.... Wind will be the biggest problem and if you are going to be on the South side that shouldn't give you allot of trouble either....

Worst you can expect is to come up from a dive in a pooring rain and being chilled for about 10 or 15 minutes - I would say that on average you should figure on it happening no more then 3 times...........

Air temp will be Mid 70's to high 80's
Water temp will still be above 79 deg for sure....

If your are going to Fantasy or CoCo thier boats are covered...

I would recomend that you give some thought to packing a light wind breaker and something to keep it dry in the boat - that way if you do surface into a cool shower you will be able to get dry and stay that way - It's only cold if your wet.........

My advice would be not to worry about it an go have a great time....

Hope this helps........ PM me if I can help more

Howie

Go to www.weatherunderground.com and use "Trip Planner" - this will give you all the averages and etc. for any time you plan to go....

We were there in February a couple of years ago and the weather was fine, except for a couple of days when the wind kicked up and it got cloudy. Otherwise, it was sunny and warm.

The rainy season tends to taper off in late Jan. The later you go in Feb,the better chance you have of nice weather. Ive been there a dozen times or more in EARLY Feb and never ran into streaks of bad weather. An occasional shower was the worst we ever had. All in all it is a good time to go. The winds are typically from the North at that time of year,so the South side should be calmer. Of course there is always the chance of a big cold front coming in from the North. This is more of an issue if you dive the North side (which is what I typically do). Go and enoy it....bad weather shouldnt be an issue for you.

Be careful using web based weather sites as the Bay Islands have their own microclimate due to the high mountains on the mainland.

February you can expect some rain, some of it tropical in intensity. Usually only for a couple of hours at a time with hot and sunny in between.

Water temp gets no lower that 26 celcius (approx double it and add 30 for F).

This was my experience earlier this year on Utila, next door!

Regards

Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom