SeaTec Original Manta BC - any info/advise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TabbyCat

(I also have a Aussie daughter --Lives in Brisbane!)

RE; Sea Tec/ Inflatable systems
I have known the founder of Sea Tec, Harry Rescigno (Re sen-O) for more years than I care to admit, but adds up to about 60

He is/was a very active diver, a respected engineer who adapted his talents to the diving world about forty years ago. His very first product was a oral inflator which revolutionized the BCs of that era. He then began developing inflation systems and introduced the dual bag to the industry. Sea Tec's initial line was horse collars, BCs, & BIUs, latter Sea Tec became a full line company.

He personally developed the "Manta" over a several year period and after many many dives by all levels of the diving community. I was one who test dove about every thing he made including the Manta. Once it was perfected I obtained a two toned custom made model which I used for about 15-20 years..The pictures always show me in the same BC, which looked the same as I progressively aged..Like a Dorian Grey Manta.

My wife also used a Manta as did my 5 children and never a complaint or a problem.

Harry removed him self from the recreational diving manufacturing a number of years ago -- the diving industry just would not support the type and quality inflation systems he wanted to produce, so he concentrated on the military and the law enforcement sector . Harry sold the company several years ago but has been on a retainer as a consultant since he departed

We, Harry and I, are now both retired enjoying life spending time with family & friends and still diving even though we are in our dotage.

You just can't go wrong with a Sea Tec product!

<<<FYI I may have my youngest daughters XS Manta still in my dive locker --she was more interested in social aspect of life than diving (Yes I have a room dedicated as a dive locker) --if I do and if you are interested I will check it out for you---If you need to know a little about me please check my profile on this board as I did you>>>

Sam,

Thank you for your insights.

And congrats on making and enjoying retirement.

Kurt

TabbyCat

(I also have a Aussie daughter --Lives in Brisbane!)

RE; Sea Tec/ Inflatable systems
I have known the founder of Sea Tec, Harry Rescigno (Re sen-O) for more years than I care to admit, but adds up to about 60

He is/was a very active diver, a respected engineer who adapted his talents to the diving world about forty years ago. His very first product was a oral inflator which revolutionized the BCs of that era. He then began developing inflation systems and introduced the dual bag to the industry. Sea Tec's initial line was horse collars, BCs, & BIUs, latter Sea Tec became a full line company.

He personally developed the "Manta" over a several year period and after many many dives by all levels of the diving community. I was one who test dove about every thing he made including the Manta. Once it was perfected I obtained a two toned custom made model which I used for about 15-20 years..The pictures always show me in the same BC, which looked the same as I progressively aged..Like a Dorian Grey Manta.

My wife also used a Manta as did my 5 children and never a complaint or a problem.

Harry removed him self from the recreational diving manufacturing a number of years ago -- the diving industry just would not support the type and quality inflation systems he wanted to produce, so he concentrated on the military and the law enforcement sector . Harry sold the company several years ago but has been on a retainer as a consultant since he departed

We, Harry and I, are now both retired enjoying life spending time with family & friends and still diving even though we are in our dotage.

You just can't go wrong with a Sea Tec product!

<<<FYI I may have my youngest daughters XS Manta still in my dive locker --she was more interested in social aspect of life than diving (Yes I have a room dedicated as a dive locker) --if I do and if you are interested I will check it out for you---If you need to know a little about me please check my profile on this board as I did you>>>

Sam:

Harry passed away Dec. 6th, 2008. A great, good hearted man. I was fortunate to have met him.

SO........ for those looking for the seatec info still.... in 2015 (here we goooo!!!!)

Seatec = Team Seatec (SEATEC HOME)

I have an original Military Manta

Contacted the team seatec and they will replace the bladder for about $150 (2015 price)
standard review of the item $35 (2015 Price)

most likely a complete overhaul would run about 250-300 (but look how long these things lasted)
Location and info: PHONE: 951-352-7596
FAX: 951.688.8594

MAILING ADDRESS:
4076 FLAT ROCK RD
RIVERSIDE, CA 92505

My Story: So these guys are awesome, I've been told by so many people its just time to upgrade the bcd with responses like " its your life and its a major piece of your dive equipment". That just didn't sit right with me because if we look how thing use to be made compared to how things are made now, there is no comparison (they knew what they were doing back in the day). The Manta was actually for Navy divers because the item was not only resilient but also versatile right out of the gate. To me if you can find one, don't mind paying close to the price of a new one for a complete rebuild on it, go for it because it will last longer that anything out today (IMHO). Hope this helps someone like me that went looking for all this information and couldn't find poop until i realized that the contract for this with the military would have ended and now they are open to public (not sayin they never were but its much easier to give them a call and get some prices and comparisons.)

There is not much that can go wrong with a BC. If it holds air overnight, the bladder and dumps are good. The most likely part in need of replacement is the inflator which should be a standard part. There is disagreement here on SB but you could always patch the bladder on a Manta. Most BCs do not have a separate bladder but a Manta does.

As a side note: Manta's were readily available at dive shops (at least in Orlando) in the late 80s to early 90s. I don't remember the retail on them. I had one a friend gave me years ago when he got out of diving. It was a bit small for me so I eBayed it and got maybe $40 for it.

That's good to know; I got one at a scuba garage sale just in case I couldn't find one I liked better, and ended up liking it so much I quit looking. So now I can continue to not look

Wendy P.

Back
Top Bottom