Secondary Lights for Tec divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 30-plus dives I haven't noticed an issue yet, and I'm hardly the easiest on my gear :wink:. But I would be curious if I could remove both the spring clip and the plastic fitting around it and just use the steel post, but I'm not going to ruin a perfectly good light to find out.

Peace,
Greg

I have uk sl4 and sl6 that I upgraded with a Cree drop-in. I wonder how the Photon Torpedo and Dorcy lights compare to them? I think they're all rated around 220 lumens.

It's hard to go wrong with Heser, Light Monkey or Halcyon. Heser is the best built, but any of those is well made.

See my post in the DIR section where I am decapitated. For 3 cell lights the Photon Torpedo, 3W Monkey, and Heser are similarly constructed, the biggest difference being price but there of course are others. They all use different LED modules so there is a slight difference in beam pattern and brightness but all are nice. The Scout is next and is the same overall design with one Oring instead of two. For two cell lights the only real option of that style is the Mini-Scout.

I bought a Photon and a Mini Scout and am happy with them, especially the Photon. You really can't go wrong with any of these, just buy one that has the shape you like for a price you like.

I have uk sl4 and sl6 that I upgraded with a Cree drop-in. I wonder how the Photon Torpedo and Dorcy lights compare to them? I think they're all rated around 220 lumens.

Cree R5? If so the Photon is very similar, what I would consider a very bright light and beam pattern. He doesn't publish a lumen rating for the Photon but it is as bright as my 320 Lumen Cree R5 with a slightly bluer light and slightly tighter beam pattern.

See my post in the DIR section where I am decapitated. For 3 cell lights the Photon Torpedo, 3W Monkey, and Heser are similarly constructed, the biggest difference being price but there of course are others. They all use different LED modules so there is a slight difference in beam pattern and brightness but all are nice. The Scout is next and is the same overall design with one Oring instead of two. For two cell lights the only real option of that style is the Mini-Scout.

I bought a Photon and a Mini Scout and am happy with them, especially the Photon. You really can't go wrong with any of these, just buy one that has the shape you like for a price you like.

I give you an A for effort. Ask them to predict the future trend? Dimmer or brighter back-up lights? :)

Cree R5? If so the Photon is very similar, what I would consider a very bright light and beam pattern. He doesn't publish a lumen rating for the Photon but it is as bright as my 320 Lumen Cree R5 with a slightly bluer light and slightly tighter beam pattern.

No, I used the R2. I have an R5 I could try. I think the R5 is supposed to be a little brighter but the R2 has a narrower beam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom