Securing "accessories" while out diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the best ones are outside the circle..:D

McL7Gxnca.png

Er, where I come from, there is no such thing as a "bathing suit". But I do wear swimming trunks.

I don't know what is currently the most commonly used term in the US for this article of apparel--I have heard both terms used. If you want to be really hip and surfer-like, you can refer to them as "board shorts" if they meet the criteria.:cool2:

Out of 8 trips to Bonaire, I have had only 1 trip where there was theft involved.....and that happened 2 times that trip.

The 1st was a dive at Torie's Reef, and the missus and I were both missing our shorts......which we later found beside the road. We later learned there were a number of vehicles that had been gone through in the area. The next morning, we did a dive at Weber's Joy (Witches Hut). When we got back to the truck, I noticed a soda can in a potato chip bag, as well as a beer bottle in the truck bed.....no big deal. We got ready to leave, and the truck wouldn't start. I raised the hood, and the battery was gone !!! :shocked2: We did an inventory, and we were missing a bag of potato chips, a cheap leatherman's tool, a non-descript hat, and my flip flops. I found my flip flops laying beside the road about 50' away...apparently size 13s didn't fit.
04.gif
A passing motorist let me use his cell phone to call the rental company mechanic, and we were in the water at our next dive site in under 2 hours.

With both of those dives, we had the only vehicle parked there when we entered the water.

I carry my driver's license, a credit card, cash, and the truck keys with me when I dive.

If you don't have a bubble wather with you, only leave stuff in the truck that you can part with, and either leave your valuable stuff in the motel room, or take it with you during the dive.

RJP, thank you VERY MUCH for that response and the reference map. In that case, I can easily put on my wetsuit and booties before starting out (no need to take shorts, T-shirt, towel, sun cream or flip-flops), leave glasses behind (I only need them for reading and close work. Do not even need a prescription mask), push the lens-cap under the seat (no resale value) and stuff the car/room keys in the BCD pocket.

The only problem would be driving back to the room with a wet wetsuit. My Adrenalin 3mm is very flexible and I am sure I can manage that.

If you're gonna put the keys in a BC pocket be sure and get a bolt snap so you can clip them to a d-ring or bungee loop inside the pocket.

Pockets are the place you put things you no longer want. And keys are prime candidates for getting out of the pocket when you're not looking.

Don't ask me how I know this. I think somebody may have told me.

i go to Home Depot and buy a stainless "quick link screw lock" - looks like a chain link - and just hang it on my harness.

If you're gonna put the keys in a BC pocket be sure and get a bolt snap so you can clip them to a d-ring or bungee loop inside the pocket.

Inside a pocket might just be the one place where a bolt snap is overkill. I use a cheap aluminum carabiner--the kind that people use on key rings--to secure my key to a bungee loop inside my pocket. On an exterior D-ring a carabiner might rightly deserve the "suicide clip" epithet--yer gonna die! ;-) But inside a pocket? I'm okay with it.

Pockets are the place you put things you no longer want. And keys are prime candidates for getting out of the pocket when you're not looking.
I just thought of an idea - probably silly but might work. I have an old compact Canon housing that was replaced because it leaked just a little bit - enough to upset the camera functions but not to get anything really wet. I could put the car and room keys along with a few $$ in a plastic bag inside this old housing and clip it to the interior D-ring of my roomy leg bag which I use to carry my DSMB & Reel during diving. Might that work?

That'll work. I've used an old Pelican 3 C cell dive light housing similarly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom