Seeking recommendations for Bora Bora and Moorea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovescorals

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
We're leaving for a fun vacation in French Polynesia.
At Bora Bora we'll be staying at Club Med, and at Moorea at the Moorea Peal resort. We'll be three days at each destination.

Any diving suggestions for a beginner, enthusiast OW diver?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hey Mike,
You're not staying very long in either location, so I would suggest a two dive day in Moorea with Top Dive - set up Shark dive and Reef Wall dive. That will give you a fun sample without using an entire day. Moorea really should be explored - I would suggest renting a car or taking a jeep tour on one morning. The Pearl is a nice resort. We enjoyed our stay. Make sure you have dinner at Te Hono Iti in Cooks Bay. Make a reservation for just after sunset, at a table along the water. They do ray feeding and the rays are swimming past you all dinner long - also the food was very good quality. In the mornings, I would suggest that you take the short 400 yard walk (out the entrance and to yoiur right) to the nearby village for breakfast. There is a really good pattisserie on your left - can't remember the name but you can't miss it. It has a large patio with numerous umbrella tables. Lunch is also very good and affordable, and you can buy sandwiches to go if you plan on a day trip somewhere.

I did not dive in Bora Bora as it was raining heavily for almost 3 of the four days we were there. The lagoon is amazingly beautiful. We stayed at the intercontinental and I found the snorkeling to be average, even snorkeling over to the motu. You may want to hire a skiff to take you to some good spots if you are not going to dive.

Hope this helps. FP is the most physically beautiful place I have ever visited (although I'm going to the Cook Islands this summer). FP citizens are friendly and laid back - sometimes you will get fast service, other times very slow. Just relax and enjoy.

You've gotten some terrific advice regarding Moorea. Try the ceviche at Te Hono Iti - it was the best I tasted anywhere in FP.

I'd also recommend Top Dive in Bora Bora. You can purchase a package of 10 dives and share it between the two of you and their shops in Moorea and Bora Bora. It definitely saves you a bit. Be sure to ask for the Manta dive in Bora Bora. Absolutely beautiful lagoon!

Back
Top Bottom