Seen a Melibe colemani or a Phyllodesmium rudmani? Know someone who has? Where??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a picture somewhere of a melibe that we saw on a night dive in Lembeh and I will post it if I can find it. I checked the dive log and we saw it on TK3 at around 64' .

Well I can confirm Rudmani was one of two Phyllodesmium species I saw last week at Anilao...diving with Bhok from Aiyanar. And we didn't even try very hard! Rudmani is a superb critter and I was quite awestruck. Yet to confirm the other species I saw. Will post photos when I get over the jet lag! Great diving at Anilao!

Hi Natasha, I have seen the Phyllodesmium rudmani in Lembeh in Feb this year. (And also in Raja Ampat). You could also ask for it as "Xenia coral nudibranch". I have stayed at NAD in Lembeh twice and can recommend it.

Melibe, I have only seen the large green Melibe (both times I was at Lembeh). Fascinating - they move pretty fast for a nudibranch, and a really peculiar floppy, lunging motion.

Good luck!

Thanks LR + Madacub!
Madacub great to know that big melibes is still there - I saw it last year but didn't have my camera that dive.

1-P7081545.jpg1-P7050896.jpg Phyllodesmium Rudmani and Colemani last week at Anilao. Seen at various sites and on several dives.

Not sure if the second photo is a melibe colmani as normally aren't they transparent with viable GI tract making them look more filamentous?

Wiggsy nice shots, however the second one is not a melibe colemani.
Here's an image of the colemani taken by the late Neville Coleman, who discovered it: Opisthobranch of the Week is Melibe colemani

Edited to add: Ah I think you meant us to understand Phyllodesmium Colemani from your post. My OP was asking about a different nudi.

View attachment 189058View attachment 189059 Phyllodesmium Rudmani and Colemani last week at Anilao. Seen at various sites and on several dives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was lucky enough to see the Melibe colemani during my recent Komodo trip in May in two sites in the north and south. First was from our checkout (!) dive at Wainilu and Thousand Nipples at the north (near gili lawa darat). My photos didnt turn up too well but I must admit its just breathtaking to see the Melibe in motion!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152468600451369&l=af67591813

Wiggsy nice shots, however the second one is not a melibe colemani.
Here's an image of the colemani taken by the late Neville Coleman, who discovered it: Opisthobranch of the Week is Melibe colemani

Edited to add: Ah I think you meant us to understand Phyllodesmium Colemani from your post. My OP was asking about a different nudi.

You are correct..I meant Phyllodesmium Rudmani and P. Colemani..both mimic nudis from the Phyllodesmium clan. Haven't spotted a melibe of any variety as of yet. Maybe an excuse to return to Anilao...or Lembeh. The Melibe colemani must be one of the weirdest in the entirely weird and wonderful world of nudibranchs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom