Self Contained Diving by René Bussoz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I have several J-valves... one has a pressure indicating rod that gives an indication of the cylinder pressure... just not during the dive.

Pictured is a J-valve that I still use on occassion though the rod is not on the reserve lever either in this picture nor on dives. I use an SPG.

I was surprised to find out recently that Aqualung used to make a regulator with a J valve built right into the first stage. I had only ever seen the ones on the cylinder.

Check out this picture of an old Calypso with the J valve right on the first stage:

R..

I own and have owned several J valves.

Just happened to be the best deals at the time.
I did start using SPGs in 1980.:D

Hmmm I wonder if I can get a DIN J valve????

but in 1983, when I was first certified in France, that's all we had. No SPG and no BC either. And a few UW signs that are not taught anymore.

Anyway, regarding the initial discussion, I'm not sure that relying only on an SPG or a J valve for gas management is the way to go. But you guys know that already...

Arnaud once bubbled...
I'm not sure that relying only on an SPG or a J valve for gas management is the way to go. But you guys know that already...
The J-Valve is fine for weenie dives... if well maintained. :D

For dives that are more substantial it is wise to pre-plan the gas requirements and use an SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom