Self control.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked,

It is not a competitive sport for me, but it should be taken seriously as you will take seriously a sport were you are required to do things and you cannot just sit around and look at others run/shoot (like if you were playing with the neighborhood gang for fun). You never know when you will have to swim agains a strong current or have a long surface swim or help somebody in trouble underwater or on the surface. My point is again, if it was not clearly understood that it should be taken seriously in both aspects, mental and physical.

When you are diving you might be competing, not against somebody else, but against yourself and the elements.

bye
Ivan=-)

ivansie once bubbled...
.... swim against a strong current.... long surface swim ....trouble underwater..... serious.... mental.... physical.

When you are diving you might be competing... against yourself and the elements.
Indulge me one more question, how old are you? I'm guessing in your twenties?

Yup. The older I get, the better I was! But you know, life seems a lot easier to enjoy now that I'm a little older. :relaxing:

Go and conquer the world ivansie. I think I'll just take my rather large carcass for a little dive, near the shore of course, and let the world pass me by. Yup, that's the ticket.

I see the problem here. It seems that most of the people who are on the "negative" side of diving with an overweight person, are approaching it from the standpoint of *technical* diving. If that is in fact the case, then I would have to force myself to confess that I agree with them. On that on point only, in that one scenario. When diving deep and into wrecks or other overhead environments, I need to know that I can count on my buddy without hesitation or reservation. My dive buddy should expect the same air of confidence and practiced skill and ability from me.

However, when diving within recreational limits on a nice sunny day, just to practice skills and look at the pretty fish. My only deciding factor would be attitude. Not skill, not physical size, age, or even physical disability, but simply attitude. I will dive with anyone who is eager to learn, and has a positive mind set, to the limits that are clearly safe and comfortable with a minimum risk. To do any less would deny me the pleasure of getting to know alot of very good people.

landlocked, I think you are totally misinterpreting what I am trying to say or I might not have expressed myself clearly. Anyhow, I will indulge you, I am 30. And no, I am not out there trying to conquer the world I am not even interested in tec diving just yet, but my whole point is why diving has to be different than any other physically intensive activity, moreover when you are putting yourself in danger just by going into a medium that is not ours (water).

Would you attempt to go hiking if you are not in at least decent shape, why risk a heart attack? I am not talking about excercise freaks here because I am not one, but at least to a level where you feel comfortable with yourself if you are required any extra efforts..... then why diving is different.

BTW I am talking here about really overweightpeople, not somebody with some pounds and love handles.

This is my personal opinion, I myself (anybody else can do whatever they please, its their choice until it affects me) will not attempt to go diving if I dont feel physically fit for it. I will never refuse to dive with somebody unless they show that they are totally inadequate for a dive, although I will be paying a lot of attention (and maybe not enjoying my dive) if the person seems quite out of shape... I think is normal to be worried, it makes us be aware.

bye
ivan

:)

ivansie once bubbled...
landlocked, I think you are totally misinterpreting what I am trying to say or I might not have expressed myself clearly. Anyhow, I will indulge you, I am 30. And no, I am not out there trying to conquer the world I am not even interested in tec diving just yet, but my whole point is why diving has to be different than any other physically intensive activity, moreover when you are putting yourself in danger just by going into a medium that is not ours (water).

Would you attempt to go hiking if you are not in at least decent shape, why risk a heart attack? I am not talking about excercise freaks here because I am not one, but at least to a level where you feel comfortable with yourself if you are required any extra efforts..... then why diving is different.

BTW I am talking here about really overweightpeople, not somebody with some pounds and love handles.

This is my personal opinion, I myself (anybody else can do whatever they please, its their choice until it affects me) will not attempt to go diving if I dont feel physically fit for it. I will never refuse to dive with somebody unless they show that they are totally inadequate for a dive, although I will be paying a lot of attention (and maybe not enjoying my dive) if the person seems quite out of shape... I think is normal to be worried, it makes us be aware.

bye
ivan

:)
Well said. I agree. :D

glad we could come to an agreement :) or clarification.

bye
ivan

Back
Top Bottom