Semi closed rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstachowsky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy all,

I realize that this IS a rebreather topic, so might be a better fit in the rebreather diving forum, but it's probably too basic for that forum, so here we go:

I've heard of "semi-closed rebreathers", and apparently they are a lot easier to use than CCRs, require less training, but still offer some of the benefits? Is this even true, or are they something like a $2000 excuse to get new divers to spend more money?

Just looking for some thoughts, maybe some experiences. It sounds like they are way too good to be true...

MIKE

The Short Story is this:

Semi Closed Rebreathers (SCR's) use a small tank of gas (like a 30 or a 40), filled with nitrox. They purge every so often, and then more nitrox is added.

You breathe down the oxygen percentage (about 2-3% per breath) until it needs more oxygen, at which time the loop purges (bubbles off) and more nitrox is added.

A CCR will add pure Oxygen and have a much longer duration than an SCR. SCR's will make a scuba cylinder last approximately 5 - 7 times longer than open circuit.

Not sure exactly what your goals are to help answer your question better. But while doing your research you may want to take a look at the KISS GEM unit, pretty simple and robust. Not overly expensive and provides a lot of the rebreather benefits.

Spend the money on a system that will grow with you as you dive. Yes, CCR's are more money. I have a very poor opinion with SCR's, and my worst diving accidents where the diver survived were on SCR's. I think that they are a bad compromise between a recreational tool (open circuit) and a technical diving tool (Closed Circuit) that serve no real purpose. If you need a rebreather so support the type of diving you want or need to do, get a real rebreather.

I would disagree slightly with Frank (Wookie) above. Admittedly I am a CCR zealot but I also have (and teach) a Kiss GEM SCR and spent several years diving and teaching other SCR models. I was never very fond of the active SCR rebreathers such as the Dolphin. With those units there was a constant flow of nitrox gas that was not keyed to your metabolism or respiration. Also, you could kill yourself by forgetting to turn on your gas supply.

The GEM is a passive SCR and, in my opinion, a much better unit. It also uses a nitrox gas supply and you will have about 3% lower FIO2 in the breathing loop than is in your cylinder. However, approximately 1/3 of your breath is discharged with each exhalation and this gas is made up by your next inhalation triggering a standard 2nd stage regulator (an Aqualung Micron) to add the gas to your breathing loop. The advantage of this system is that it is keyed by your respiration and is not the constant flow of the active SCRs. Also, if you see discharge bubbles and you hear the 2nd stage firing with each inhalation, you know the system is working. Obviously you still must monitor your PO2 like on any rebreather but the GEM is a very simple and robust system.

As to where does this system fit into your diving. If your goal is deep and technical diving, I would agree with Frank that you should just go the CCR route and get a system that can "grow" with your diving. However, if all you are looking for is "gas extension" in recreational diving, the GEM fits the bill quite well. This system is especially good for the "air hog" who is always calling the dive when his or her buddy still has lots of gas left. It is also good for smaller people, frequently women, who would like to be able to carry smaller lighter cylinders but still have plenty of gas supply. Finally, while there are bubbles, they are minimal and it does make a difference in getting close to certain marine life. Then there is the avoidance of "cotton mouth" by breathing warm, moist gas.

Remember, however, this is simply "gas efficient nitrox". You still have the same concerns with MOD and decompression that you would have in open circuit nitrox diving. So, if the advantages make up for the increased cost for you as a diver, the GEM is a good unit. If not, stay open circuit. And if you are looking at deeper more technical diving, at least in my opinion, consider going CCR and not SCR.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Great replies, and a lot to think about. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom