September 2017 RA Liveaboard decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have some mandatory vacation coming up in the September time period, and am looking at a couple liveaboards in Raja Ampat. The point of the trip is to dive and see unique places. I'm not sure when or if I'll ever get back to the area. So obviously I want it to count, and RA seemed to be the best option. Surprisingly inexpensive flights to Jakarta also helped me choose the final destination.

The TemuKira does 11D/10N for $3,350 out of Sorong. ~28 dives, with no nitrox.
The Pearl of Papua does 9D/8N for $2,640 also out of Sorong. ~28 dives, w nitrox (supplement) and includes stops in the Misool islands. Nitrox + Misool + less expensive.

It seems ScubaBoards is not enamored with the Pearl. I've read some meh reviews to those that were very critical. The worst were from several years ago. I'm not looking for luxury, particularly at this price range. But I do require clean & safe.

Any perspectives on the decision are greatly appreciated. I'm looking to make a decision soonly.
Cheers!
Amw 5G

I've been on the POP if you choose it get a top cabin, my bathroom drain would overflow cap all over the floor.
Oh dear. Overflow not withstanding, anything else stand out as positive or negative about the trip?

Food was good, crew was good, cruise director was good. He was due to start with another boat so I don't know if that has changed. Three was one high current dive where we ended up getting spread out and separated from our groups. I was alarmed when I was back on the pearl and there were still divers out that only one of the tenders were out locating them.

The diving was great, the boat could use some TLC, and for a budget boat the food was really good. The trip director was excellent and overall I enjoyed it, just not the sewage issue.

I've been in both LOBs (Temukira in 2010, POP in 2015). If I have a choice, I choose Temukira.

I did stay on the top deck cabin of POP & pretty much agree with @dirtfarmer comment. Ben was the cruise director. He is good & helpful.

I just don't like their steep & narrow stair way to the upper deck, also the slanted platform from the gear room to the skiff. I heard a diver slipped & fell on that slanted platform. I didn't know the exact injury on him. I was pretty careful went I walked down to the skiff, but I got careless when I went down the stairway from the upper deck down to the main deck. I missed a step, fell down on my knee & split my knee cap into two pieces. Luckily that was at the end of the trip, so I didn't ruin everyone else's dive trip.

Ben, the captain and the crew were very helpful in making splitter for my leg, taking me to the nearest hospital as fast as they possibly could. I had to fly on business class in order to keep my leg straight after the knee surgery. DAN covered my flight back to Houston.

So, if you go with POP, be aware & careful with those stairs & slanted platform. I wish they got rid of them and replaced them with less steep & wide stairway.

I just don't like their steep & narrow stair way to the upper deck, also the slanted platform from the gear room to the skiff. I heard a diver slipped & fell on that slanted platform. I didn't know the exact injury on him. I was pretty careful went I walked down to the skiff, but I got careless when I went down the stairway from the upper deck down to the main deck. I missed a step, fell down on my knee & split my knee cap into two pieces. Luckily that was at the end of the trip, so I didn't ruin everyone else's dive trip.

*That* is really good info, Dan!

- Bill

amw5g, what did you do in the end? I am thinking of booking a trip with Temukira so if you ended up going with them I would appreciate your feedback.

thanks
Hi there! I ended up booking the Calico Jack departing Oct 8th. I leave tomorrow morning, as a matter of fact. Sorry I can't help you with Temukira.
Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom