Serious Question about OOA training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In our BOW pool sessions we usually do an exercise where half of the buddies line up along a pool wall (facing the wall) and just settle to the bottom and breath. We take the other half of the buddy pairs about 20 feet away and have them swim under water to their buddy on a breath hold (no reg) and signal OOA. The donors have no idea this is going to happen so they get a surprise. We then switch places but this time the ooa group is told to take the reg. from their buddies mouth with no signal. The new donor group gets a surprise since they were expecting the first scenario to be repeated. It's a riot watching this. I've seen students grab their primary back, shake their head "no" then give their octo while nodding, like, "No! This one is mine. This one is yours."

Joe

Jtoorish, a little off the topic but I too am a pilot and most vividly remember the first stall/spin and was the only maneover I asked my instructor to repeat. I thought he was going to kill us. Once learned it is easy to recover from and yes it is done from a safe altitude.
As far as the OOA instruction goes must aggree with Tollie, the risks are to great and the control the instructor has is far less than in the example you use in avaiation. I am only an old assistant instructor but having assisted many students the response in an actual OOa situation you get from a student varies and conrtol varies as well. In the aviation example the instructor can take control of the aircraft, this is not true underwater.
Remember to always blow your bubbles safley!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom