Serious question - no yolk!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree with you that they can be found Chaseh (not easy 'round here) the FDA still says it's a no-no. If the cheese groups are successful, everyone in the country will soon know the joys of real cheese.

At work we have to by law keep them in the fridge and i live in England and work for the royal navy, i have not heard of anyone keeping their eggs on the counter for years and especially in those novelty china hens that lift up hahahaha my nan had one!!!!!!

Far_X:
Eggs

- in England, you are encouraged to keep them out of the fridge as the problem lies in cooking eggs straight from the fridge.

- in the US, you are encouraged to keep them in the fridge and no mention is made of gettin them to room temperature before cooking.

How come these are totally opposite to each other? Anybody have any ideas? And which is right? I keep my eggs in the fridge but then in England I always did that too but they don't make egg holders in the English fridges any more.

OK... Eggs. First, keep them in the fridge. Period. An egg will age 7 times faster at room temp as compared to fridge temp. And.... on the bacteria issue:

Bacteria can be on the outside of a shell egg. That's because the egg exits the hen's body through the same passageway as feces is excreted. That's why eggs are washed and sanitized at the processing plant. Bacteria can be inside an uncracked, whole egg. Contamination of eggs may be due to bacteria within the hen's ovary or oviduct before the shell forms around the yolk and white. SE doesn't make the hen sick. It is also possible for eggs to become infected by Salmonella Enteritidis fecal contamination through the pores of the shells after they're laid.

What Part Carries Bacteria?
Researchers say that, if present, the SE is usually in the yolk or "yellow." However, they can't rule out the bacteria being in egg whites. So everyone is advised against eating raw or undercooked egg yolks and whites or products containing raw or undercooked eggs.

Bet that's way more than you wanted to know.

Jim

A fresh egg will have an albumin (white) that stands up with a small runny portion. Crack one onto a plate next time and you will see what I am talking about. If the white is all runny (none of it stands up), it's old and should not be used.

Nardulli:
OK... Eggs. First, keep them in the fridge. Period. An egg will age 7 times faster at room temp as compared to fridge temp. And.... on the bacteria issue:

Bacteria can be on the outside of a shell egg. That's because the egg exits the hen's body through the same passageway as feces is excreted. That's why eggs are washed and sanitized at the processing plant. Bacteria can be inside an uncracked, whole egg. Contamination of eggs may be due to bacteria within the hen's ovary or oviduct before the shell forms around the yolk and white. SE doesn't make the hen sick. It is also possible for eggs to become infected by Salmonella Enteritidis fecal contamination through the pores of the shells after they're laid.

What Part Carries Bacteria?
Researchers say that, if present, the SE is usually in the yolk or "yellow." However, they can't rule out the bacteria being in egg whites. So everyone is advised against eating raw or undercooked egg yolks and whites or products containing raw or undercooked eggs.

Bet that's way more than you wanted to know.

Jim

Way too much information but interesting nonetheless :wink: I have yet to get sick from eating eggs and I like the yolk soft and runny. Fridge, cook and eat. Yeah!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom