Serious Reg. Problem - Diaphram!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallasM5

Reaction score
Ok, before I start with the story, here's some backgroup info and a disclaimer:

I'm just recently certified and bought new equipment for my first dive trip since certification. I now recognize several levels of errors in judgement on my part in addition to the mechanical issue.

I received the new regs (Zeagle Envoy and Octo-integrated) a couple of weeks before my trip. I looked them over and hooked them up to a borrowed tank for a very cursory test (no water involved). When I shut the tank valve off, curiously, I could still draw air through my Envoy (but not my Octo). It was more difficult, but eventually I could get a whole breath in. Now, I knew enought that this was not really supposed to happen, but I thought that maybe I was just inhaling with a lot of force and once in the water, the thing would truly seal off.

First jump in the water (Turks), the Envoy seemed to be working ok, so I signaled "ok" and down we went. I did notice some wet breathing the deeper we went (to about 85-90 ft. max.) and I had never experienced this in my course. However, I had read about it here and thought perhaps this was normal and I would just have to learn to deal with it. It did raise my anxiety level which made me inhale harder and the circular problem was created. As I did more dives, I kept having to calm myself down to slow my breathing to minimize, but not eliminate, the problem. Actually, the problem seemed to be getting worse. I kept thinking that I must be doing something wrong with my breathing or I was just freaking myself out and further contributing to the problem. I was convinced that everyone else just had to deal with the same issues.

Now, on my 7th dive (4th day), I noticed some mild wetness just floating waiting to descend. My buddy and I gave the "divers down" thumb and off we went. At about 40 ft, things were so bad that by the time I had finished a complete inhalation, my mouth was basically nearly full with water. Panic! Since we had just descended a minute or so, I decided to return to the surface. My buddy suggested just trying my Octo and staying very close to him. Down again, and no problem with wet breathing at all! (The only problem was that an Octo is not really designed for pleasure diving, but rather as a true rescue reg. and therefore it was pretty uncomfortable and I had to keep my hand up holding it in my mouth to lessen the strain and this pulled my BC off balance.) A difficult dive and I was apprehensive the whole time.

When we were back at the hotel that evening, I thought I would try and have a look at the Envoy. (I really didn't think I would find anything obvious to me since I had never looked at the guts of a reg, so I had no basis for understanding what "normal" looked like.) Upon removing the cap, I immediately noticed that the crimped edge of the diaphram was seated unevenly. I thought that must be the problem. Water was leaking around the edge. Then I went to touch the diaphram and found about a 2 inch rip across it!!! A chill went up my spine as I realized that this was letting water in at 80+ ft.! I surmise that the incorrect placement of the diaphram caused a small tear that just kept getting bigger as I used it and therefore, stressed it each day.

I was really starting to get worried that I didn't have the mental toughness to overcome this problem and that maybe diving wasn't for me. My anxiety level had grown with each dive and now I know it was probably directly proportional to the rip in that diaphram.

I'm really angry with the assemblers at this point and can't wait to call them on this issue!! Anyone else ever heard of this problem?

Before everyone jumps on me, remember my disclaimer above. I recognize numerous levels of errors in judgement along the way on my part. This will become a valuable learning experience for me, but that sill doesn't excuse those that put it together!

An experienced diver would have know not to dive with that reg... no dive is worth cheating death (IMHO). I always carry a backup reg on vacations/the boat just for this reason.

Don't blame the asemblers - it was probably just a mistake. Instead - blame the store you bought it from - their techs should have picked that up before giving you the reg.

Makes a good arguement as to why a diver really ought to know something about how a reg is supposed to work, and how to do some basic checks on a new, recently serviced (or recently rented) reg, since obvious problems like yours are easily spotted with an even cursory check (and a good dive shop will not let a reg out of the shop, new or not, without doing them).

You had clear warning that something was amiss, when you could inhale with the tank turned off, but didn't have the background to recognize the warning.

But look at the good side! Even with a serious, gross defect, it didn't kill you. You didn't panic, and everything was fine. Regs are a lot more forgiving than a lot of folk give them credit for.

I'm a recently certified new diver myself and can associate with much of what you say.

While no manufacturer should supply such critical equipment with faults, mistakes do happen, and it is also possible that some dufus at the LDS took it apart and didn't assemble it correctly. I would be less than happy with the LDS that sold me it and would have expected them to have spotted this. That is after all one of the big arguments for using a LDS over buying online.

Apart from the obvious mistake of getting in the water with something you had a feeling wasn't right, on dive 7, it would have taken a chest full of gold doubloons to get me to dive with just an octo. You had already identified that your primary was no good and didn't really know where the problem was at that time, what would happen if it was in the 1st stage? Also, what happens to your buddy if he runs out of air at 80'?

If it were me, I would also rethink my octo setup, if it was uncomfortable and awkward to use in this situation, things maybe worse in a panic or high stress situation, like a true OOA situation.

Glad you were okay and learned from this. But I would be having serious words with LDS and would not darkening their doorstep again.

The most serious misjudgement though was not having the courage to ask a more expeirenced diver what they thought about the problem after (or preferably before) the 1st dive.

Back
Top Bottom