Service or sell a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next question...I went to the frogkick site to check it out. The owner is limiting downloads to 5 per IP address. Is that per day or total? I have two different types of first and second stages (ScubaPro Mk11/C300 & ScubaPro Mk25/S600) and would like to get the manuals for both?

Here are a few sites you may find useful.

Diving, all about diving.: Technical service manuals for ScubaPro regulators

https://app.box.com/shared/hafrxhlogk

Scuba Equipment Technical Data

E-ServiceManuals.com - Scuba Service Manuals

www.frogkick.dk - /

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/322518-scubapro-o-ring-sizes.html

Size Cross Reference

Some people play the piano and some can balance equations and some people can take anything apart and fix it. I cannot play the piano, I think I recall getting through enough calculus to graduate, but I can fix anything. Kids for miles around bring me their busted skateboards and bicycles and please Mr. Nemrod can you fix _____________?

As to books, there are quite a few around here who need no books and likely could write a book. Tools, never a bad investment. My boss, my (wife) boss, my neighbors, ask why not just rent the tool or borrow the tool, well, mostly because sometimes I may not have any idea what I might do with the tool, until the day I do. This could explain why I am sitting here typing on scuba board while looking over the top of my computer at $200 of ball joint and pitman arm R&R tools-------- so here comes the answer to your question:

The answer is because I can do it BETTER than anyone else and I hate paying people to ruin things and do inferior work so I have learned to just do it myself because I end up undoing their BS and doing it over again and that cost more and falls under this observation of human behavoir:

Some people will go to any EXPENSE to save a DOLLAR.

N

This is exactly what I would like to avoid. "If you're gonna do it, do it right the first time!"

There is a DIY section on SB where you will find all the help you need from people who do their own service and may be familiar with the type of reg you own.

Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about the DIY section.

I gave a source for a free download for the Sherwood (and others), I'd talk to Jim Lapenta about the Hog. There is a lot of DIY reg techs on this board and others, so it would be a matter of time before you could find the information for little or nothing.

With some machanical inclination, patience, basic tools, and the desire to to service your own reg, I believe most divers that want to, can learn to service their own regs. If you have to buy a toolkit because you have no tools, you are probably not a good canidate. There are a lot of special tools and instruments that are available, however a lot of them just make things easier, only a few are actually necessary to do the job on certain regs.

I started successfully repairing some old regs without a manual. I've been a mechanic on a variety of equipment over the years, so I have tools and background to work on what shows up so I have a head start. With frogkick.dk, and the advice from other Scubaboard regulars, I find repairing regs much easier now.

Over the years, I have spent a a few hundred on special tools, but it was when I had the $ and couldn't make the tool myself, or my DIY tool needed an upgrade.

If you want to service your own gear you will find a way, if not then don't. That is the balance. Just tossing money at an issue rarely solves anything.

Bob
----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

It's not that I don't have tools, I have plenty of tools. I am just exploring the reasoning behind DIY reg service is all and you guys are giving me some great answers. :)

I think frogkick is just trying to protect bandwidth... which I fully understand. But you should have no problem getting the manuals you need.

If you have problems getting manuals, have questions about a particular regulator, or need advice on servicing your regulators, stroll on over to the regulator and DIY sections of ScubaBoard. Your questions will get a lot more views by the DIY guys, and you'll get help.

My experience with this motley crew of DIY guys is that they are all amazingly generous in sharing hard-earned knowledge and will really try to help if you have a problem.

If you have the mechanical inclination and the interest, learning to service your own regulators is probably the single best investment of time and money you can make as a diver. It does not require that you be a master mechanic. Just the ability to work carefully and pay attention to detail. That is all. Regulators are simple mechanical devices.

Best wishes.

I definitely have the mechanical ability, problem solving skills and inclination. I definitely appreciate the information I get here on SB.

If someone is charging 500-600 for the books they are seriously full goose bozo nutjobs. You can order the Reg Savy book from Scubatools for 35.00 - Regulator Savvy (Spiral Bound)
The Airspeed press one by Vance is only 50.00 direct from them- SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow . People sell used books on amazon for crazy prices hoping to nab some sucker.

That is exactly where I was going with my wondering of, " is it really worth it?" line of questioning. $400+ for a book? What is it made of? Platinum???

Awesome!!! Thanks Rich, I will bookmark these links and check them out...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom