Servicing Xstreams at home - Tips and Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice.. A quote from the same people who would tell me I can't service my own reg in the first place.
I bought the tools to spec, I got my OEM service kits, what the hell is the idea behind paying more for the tools than a new set of regulators?

Honestly, if you're not gonna contribute, then don't bother writing.
Actually, Poseidon is one of the few companies that actually authorize end-users to become factory trained to rebuild their own regulators.

No, you can work on your own regulators; there's even a course put on by Poseidon; though O2 training is, admittedly, a bit more advanced. and not covered in the initial course.

Also, @rsingler offers exhaustive regulator training courses through SB -- far greater in scope and complexity than any course offered through manufacturers. You'd be far less likely to combust.

Where are getting your wonky info about tools? Scuba Clinic, out of Asia, has plenty of affordable gear, many which I carry in a travel kit for that very reason, just a few of which are even appropriate for the Xstream (I currently see about US 70.50 being the total -- or 97.50 with that very cool blue wrench) . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 2.56.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 2.56.15 PM.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 55
Actually, Poseidon is one of the few companies that actually authorize end-users to become factory trained to rebuild their own regulators.
Oh really ?!
I'm gonna reach out to them, then. Thanks a lot for that information!

No, you can work on your own regulators; there's even a course put on by Poseidon; though O2 training is, admittedly, a bit more advanced.

Where are getting your wonky info about tools? Scuba Clinic, out of Asia, has plenty of affordable gear, many which I carry in a travel kit for that very reason, just a few of which are even appropriate for the Xstream (I currently see about US 70.50 being the total -- or 97.50 with that cool blue wrench) . . .
That's where I was gonna get my specialty tool from, yea. Original Poseidon tools on the other hand, they're spicy.

I'm fine with being told "You can't do O2 cleaning, because X Y Z", as long as there's some reason for why.
The requirements set out in the manual are pretty much household conditions, sans the dust situation.
So that's what I was looking for.

If the answer is "Even a newly cleaned living room is too dusty for this" well then yea, I'll probably not bother then.

I'm also not sure if this needs to be clarified, but it's not PURE O2 I'll use, it's 80%, but at that level, I'd expect it to be treated the same.

I’m just learning myself. I just did my first self- maintenance of an xstream first and didn’t bother with O2 cleaning or the Viton o-rings.

Can you tell me why you’re planning to go through the effort of O2 cleaning if you aren’t going to use O2 compatible o-rings?

Also, I think that the lube you selected is technically not rated for the high pressure that an O2 clean xstream allows. I am not qualified to speak on whether that is a real risk or just a function of Poseidon only allowing the specific lube they tested.

Other, more experienced, people here can maybe weigh in.
About the lube, you're actually absolutely right, which is really a bummer for the price :/ But I guess lesson learned..
It's perfectly good for Nitrox<40 though.

I'm also not sure if this needs to be clarified, but it's not PURE O2 I'll use, it's 80%, but at that level, I'd expect it to be treated the same.
Eighty percent may as well be one-hundred, having seen the aftermath of about a forty percent flame-out, which burned an impressive, euro-sized hole through the brass of an old Scubapro first stage.

I'd suggest that you familiarize yourself with Harlow's Oxygen Hackers Companion. There was a PDF copy of the out of print book floating around SB recently . . .

Keep it clean :wink:
Thanks for the link!

I read the chapter in that book on regulator O2 cleaning and the gist of it is:
Completely dismantle the parts.
Inspect for any corrosion or "gunk".
Rid of any corrosion in 5% vinegar
Soak in soapy water (citric acid based cleaners suggested)
Scrub with toothbrush, pick threads with toothpick.
Rinse in fresh water bath (Doesn't say how many times but there is a "final rinse")
Water kept for testing
Either dried with airgun, oven (?!) or left out to dry.

Parts should be examined by the "Beads test" which is spraying demineralised water on to the dry part to see if it beads.
Checked by eye in strong light.
Last rinse water bath put in small container and shaken to test for leftover detergent.

Reassembled with O2 safe lube.

My imagined procedure was:
Completely dismantle parts as per manual
Inspect parts carefully of any corrosion
Scrub clean with toothbrush in water.
[only touch with gloves from this point]
Run in BIOX solution in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Run in water in ultrasonic cleaner.
Visually inspect and do beads test.
Air-dry.

Clean all needed tools with soapy water, rinse, airdry, wipe down with IPA.
Clear a working area.
Reassemble regs with new service kit and Christo-lube.

Eighty percent may as well be one-hundred, having seen the aftermath of about a forty percent flame-out, which burned an impressive, euro-sized hole through the brass of an old Scubapro first stage.

I'd suggest that you familiarize yourself with Harlow's Oxygen Hackers Companion. There was a PDF copy of the out of print book floating around SB recently . . .
Do you reckon Vance's approach is adequate, then?
It's not quite on par with the Poseidon manual's requirements.

Also to clarify/summarize from the thread:
  • I started out thinking I needed to do "O2 clean" service of the Poseidon regs for the sake of using nitrox <40.
  • The Poseidon's won't see more than that.
  • I wanted to use this as an opportunity to get a service routine in that I then afterwards could apply to another reg which would be used as a deco stage.
  • This other reg is not necessarily going to be a Poseidon.

I reached out to Poseidon UK and unfortunately, they do not offer training to anyone who is a not a professional technician at a service center :confused:
Was worth a shot though..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom