Setting up to fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does everyone else see the chicken avatar for almost everyone and the "hot chick" badge?

Yes I mean Hawaii by the big island.

Al, yours is the second chick comment I've seen today. I saw a flaming chick avatar on one of the Photo threads, but everyone else seems normal here in Safari land. Who you lookin' at, by the way?

Aloha, if you want to try Hawaii NOW is the time. No wife, no kids? Construction jobs are plentiful and I'm assuming the driving part also. The Feds just dumped
WASHINGTON — Military spending for construction in Hawai'i next year would total $544 million

some major bank on revamping military housing on some large bases. I'd say give Hawaii a go....you can always do the Carolinas or Florida!

We have very low unemployment here. Bring your work ethic and your dreams.

Backing Catherine up on this one. You can always get your instructor after a few years and there is just another source of income. The divemasters out make enough for college students as a part time from what i heard. Mind you that is hearsay so if anyone could correct me please do so. At least you dive for free with it.

If you plan on traveling light, even living here in Hawaii for a couple of years might be a plan. It 's kind of hard to get a real feel for a place until you really got it all mapped out. Job, housing, friends, hobbies, etc.

Yes, the cost of living here is ridiculous! But I couldn't see myself living anywhere else!

Backing Catherine up on this one. You can always get your instructor after a few years and there is just another source of income. The divemasters out make enough for college students as a part time from what i heard. Mind you that is hearsay so if anyone could correct me please do so. At least you dive for free with it.

I wouldn't plan on the dive industry as a source of income as far as a DM or instructor and I don't think that there is much else, if anything, like salvage diving here. DM's only get paid tips. If you consider going that route, I'd think of it only in terms of the perks, not income.

We have very low unemployment here. Bring your work ethic and your dreams.

It is not wise to gauge the health of or employment on the local unemployment rates! Trust me! I know! It's what I do. I take care of the computer system that does all of the state's unemployment processing.

Part of the reason we have such low unemployment is that there are a lot of folks working multiple jobs. Immediately, post 9/11, we had 3,000 folks a week filing for umployment. The greater majority didn't qualify because they lost one of two jobs. If you work 40 hours a week or make more than the weekly benefit amount you qualify for (max is like 525 now) you don't qualify.

The statistics can be deceiving! Furthermore, the greater portion of our employment is low paying service jobs. You lose your job, you have pretty much 26 weeks to find a new job (collecting your full amount) and then your on your own having to take whatever brings in the bacon - not part of that so-called unemployment rate!

As someone once said, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics!

Back
Top Bottom