Several Dacor Cylinder Questions....Super80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendigo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have several questions concerning Dacor SCUBA cylinders. Specifically the Super80 series they made.

1) Have all Dacor brand tanks been manufactured by Catalina?

2) Are there any known issues with these Super80 cylinders?

3) Why do I see so few of them?

4) What should I expect to pay for a used Super80 with the last hydro in '98 and visual in '02? Original mfg date of 2/87.

Dacor cylinders were made by Luxfer, and the original hydro date indicates that this cylinder was made from the 6351 AL alloy. This alloy is susceptible to sustained load cracking (SLC) of the tank neck threads. Which means that eventually this cylinder will fail the Visual Inspection or Visual Plus (Eddy Current test) and be condemned and taken out of service. Super 80's are not produced any longer. I would not pay anything for this cylinder. It is going to be useless soon... If you must buy it, make sure it passes a visual inspection (VIP) BEFORE you buy it, or make that a condition of the sale, with monies returned if it fails...

That is exactly what I needed to know.

Only one thing that I have a question about now. I have a pony bottle that is a Dacor and it is a Catalina cylinder. It has clear markings that say it was manufactured by Catalina in '87. It doesnt ever have over 2000psi in it so I am not worried about whatever alloy it is made of. So are Dacor cylinders made by both comapnies?

That is why I assumed Dacors were made by Catalina.

Wendigo:
1) Have all Dacor brand tanks been manufactured by Catalina?
Is there an arrow-like thing stamped on the shoulder that looks like one of the arrows in the Luxfer logo below?

Roak

Wendigo:
I have several questions concerning Dacor SCUBA cylinders. Specifically the Super80 series they made.

1) Have all Dacor brand tanks been manufactured by Catalina?...QUOTE]

Simple answer is found in the stampings at the top of the tank. If you could provide the stamping information, all of it or a photo, then you would know with certainty what alloy the tank is made from.

If the tank is made form the suspect alloy, then you should have a VISPLUS performed (eddy current test) annually. In addition, you should know that some of these tanks have failed catastrophically (exploded). I should also point out that at least one tank exploded while the dive shop was checking the pressure BEFORE filling, so don’t take a lot of refuse in the tank only having 1500 or 2000 PSI in it.

IF the tank is of the suspect alloy, I personally would not give you anything above the scrape metal value for it.

Wendigo:
That is exactly what I needed to know.

Only one thing that I have a question about now. I have a pony bottle that is a Dacor and it is a Catalina cylinder. It has clear markings that say it was manufactured by Catalina in '87. It doesnt ever have over 2000psi in it so I am not worried about whatever alloy it is made of. So are Dacor cylinders made by both comapnies?

That is why I assumed Dacors were made by Catalina.

I highly doubt it. What are the clear markings you are talking about? Because, AFAIK, Dacor cylinders (all of them) were made by Luxfer.
COuld you take a pic of the numbers on the crown of the cylinder, or read them off to us (everything after the DOT stamp).

BTW, Catalina's manufacturer code is M4002. If you see that on the cylinder, then it is a Catalina.

I am not buying the Super80 for certain. Dont want to deal with a cracking cylinder.

Concerning my pony bottle, the warning sticker is still on it that warns you about all the dangers that come with cylinders and it says Catalina Cylinder. However, I dropped it off to the VIP done on it so I can't check the serial right now. I will look at it as soon as I get it back. Odd that a Dacor branded cylinder made by Luxfer would have a warnign decal from Catalina on it when I purchased it. :icon_ques

Oh yeah, I just remembered it had an operating pressure of 2015 i think. It was around 2000 for sure. I dont think Catalina made any smaller cylinders with that operating pressure. So it may very well be a Luxfer, but that doesnt make it any less strange having a factory Catalina decal on it.

The sticker doesnt mean anything, the numbers that are stamped on the cylinder will tell you the truth...

If it's a Catalina cylinder it should either have "Catalina" or "M4002" stamped into the shoulder.

Roak

[added on edit] Dang it, seems like everyone's beating me to the punch these days... :)

Thanks for all the info guys.

I am going to pass on that Super80 for sure.

As far as my pony bottle goes, well as soon as I get it back from getting the VIP, I'll check it out and confirm it is a Luxfer. Not so much that it matters to me as I am going to continue to use it, but more out of curiosity than anything.

Thanks again for the info, and anyone that has more comments bring them on. I am still looking for a reasonably priced cylinder.

Christopher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom