Sewing service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRon

Contributor
Reaction score
I need to have some heavy duty sewing done on my BC. What type of companies would offer this as a service?

I checked with my drycleaner, who does all the "normal" sewing, but he does not have an industrial strength sewing machine.

Any suggestions?
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Shoe repair businesses or saddle and tack shops will do heavy duty sewing as they routinely sew fairly thick leather. Also some tent and awning shops can also handle the heavier duty sewing on some parts of a BC.

Also uppolsters.

What do you need to sew?

Most of what is on a BC can be sewn easily with a good home machine that is in good tune, especially an older, all metal one.

There is nothing on my Zeagle Scout that I could not sew with my very old Kenmore machine I saved from the trash. It only needed a motor and sews like a champ, and I haven't even put a big flywheel on it yet.
:D

Try someplace that makes slings. Depending on where you are at.You may or may not have this available to you. In Dallas you can get it done.

This may really sound weird but you might be able to find a hot air balloon repair station to stitch it. One good thing would be that it would be double stiched and I doubt that it would come undone unless you cut it out.
Since you don't have your location posted I can't help anymore other than to say " search the internet" or email me and I will see what I can do.

Does anyone do their own sewing?

What tools would I need to sew thick material like nylon webbing?

I want to make a new knife sheath. I 'd like to use 10 mil aluminum stock for support, sew some Nylon webbing around it and then sew a sheath on the front.

And I do it on a home sewing machine. It is a very old Kenmore that is all metal and will sew anything we use in diving gear.

If I need to sew really heavy stuff I use either a Speedy Sticher sewing awl or take the job to a friend who has a big industrial machine. I may just buy an industrial machine as I have some projects coming up that would make it pay.

For materials and information see;
http://www.sailrite.com

I would have to recommend a shoe repair place. I've already taken several BC's there for people and they are very, very reasonable. Only a few bucks to do some sewing repairs most of the time...

Back
Top Bottom