Shark Attack at Aquarium of the Pacific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
13 and 14 year old's? Didn't think they were THAT young... bleah.

caveseeker7:
Four kids, one age 14, the rest all age 13 have been arrested and are held at juvenile hall.

They were arrested when they came back a second time and cops chased them down.

They'll be charged with trespassing, vandalism and felony cruelty to animals.

Why? Appearantly "because they could".

The nurseshark was found dead in the bushes, the ray on the ground, "poked or stabbed", the (still) surviving shark was thrown on the exit structure (am not sure what that is).

They stated they're going to be charged with Felony Animal Cruelty.

Felony.

Nice. The sad thing is that this will likely prompt action on the part of AOP - either in the way of a nightly drop cover for the petting pool or razor wire along the fence that surrounds the enclosure. Both are wholly unattractive options

Jerks. I don't completely expect some urban 'utes to fully appreciate or grasp the cruelty of a slow death by suffocation, so I'm not as angry at the level of cruelty as I am at their brazen return to do it again. Kids got stones - we did all kinds of questionable and stupid stuff. But to come back a second time too kill again is just mean spirited. It will be interesting to see what the parents have to say.

Ken

archman:
13 and 14 year old's? Didn't think they were THAT young... bleah.
I'm not surprised at their ages one bit. I hope they throw the book at them and charge them as adults.

A clear message needs to be sent to other kids in their age group. This is not a mischievious act like drinking your dad's booze behind the barn with your friends. This is an intentional act of cruelty toward another living creature. This time it was directed at marine life, next time it could be a neighbor's cat or dog (this may have already happened). Beyond that it could be another kid or even an adult.

I'm glad that they caught them.

Christian

Very sad.

Considering what is done to chickens and cattle during processing...
www.peta/meetyourmeat.com

I think aquariums belong in the past. Sharks are wild animals, and not meant to be "petted". I'm sure they led a terrifying existance.

Humans stink.

Wow that is truely and amazingly messed up... But more likely than not, no matter the consequences, these kids are gonna come out just as :censored: as they were when they went in, if not more so...

And on a sidenote, I totally and wholeheartedly disagree with opiniongirl on the fact that aquariums belong in the past... Where'd you even come up with that idea?

<profanity removed by Snowbear>

Gomer Piles:
Wow that is truely and amazingly messed up... I hope those kids becomes somebodies b**** in juvi... Maybe then they will learn something about being tortured... But more likely than not, no matter the consequences, these kids are gonna come out just as f***ed up as they were when they went in, if not more so...

And on a sidenote, I totally and wholeheartedly disagree with opiniongirl on the fact that aquariums belong in the past... Where'd you even come up with that idea?

Because mammals in captivity do not behave as they do in the wild, causing stress to the point of severe symptoms of anxiety and stress.

Globalization and communication today allows the educational aspects of acquariums to be achieved by viewing animals in their natural environments, and natural behaviour.

I do not consider a Killer Whale waving to the crowd as "educational", just the same as highly socialized dolphins being separated from their natural groups. If it weren't for the purposes of human entertainment, they wouldn't be doing flips in synchrony to Top40 Music.

opiniongirl:
Very sad.

Considering what is done to chickens and cattle during processing...
www.peta/meetyourmeat.com

I think aquariums belong in the past. Sharks are wild animals, and not meant to be "petted". I'm sure they led a terrifying existance.

Humans stink.

Mmmm, thanks! I was going to have a salad, but I've changed my mind. If anyone wants burgers & wings be sure and stop by.

LOL!

28 day aged carcass, anyone?

I think it's a table for one, so far hermosadive. I'm taking my animal-rights activist button off...for now

opiniongirl:
Because mammals in captivity do not behave as they do in the wild, causing stress to the point of severe symptoms of anxiety and stress.

You think the stuff you see when diving acts the same as when you're not around? Please.

Ban diving.

Ken

PS: Ban top40 music, too....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom