Marine Life Shark bite at Grand Bahama

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by any form of marine life including large and small animals, algae or plant life, and biotoxins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly do you think staff members will do to prevent legs from being chomped off? Who will protect the staff members?

Ms. Ernst was at her most vulnerable. She most likely didn't have a mask, as she had jumped back in after shedding her gear. And she was coming up the ladder, so the attack was from the side or rear. A dive guide in the water with a mask might have seen the shark’s approach and used the usual means to divert it. Frankly, I question putting people in the water at all if treats were being thrown to the sharks nearby, but having someone standing watch seems reasonable if that’s what’s being done.

We have a reef here where the local dive op feeds nurse sharks and morays
Most of us avoid it now because the fish life has become too “curious and friendly”
On Bonaire recently, two kids went in the water near where fisherman had tossed their leavings. they both sustained serious moray bites on their legs, one quite deep. And I know a seasoned dive professional who opened a bag of guts on the bottom and a moray sped in and bit her in the jugular. Her colleague was close enough to react and get her to the surface, but it otherwise would almost surely have been fatal. Same place, sharks follow divers around because they know lion fish will be speared and left for them.

Most of us avoid it now because the fish life has become too “curious and friendly”
On a dive in Roatan two morays got too friendly - the DM said because people feed them regularly. Made for great video as they seemed particularly interested in one member of our group. He got the best video!

On a dive in Roatan two morays got too friendly - the DM said because people feed them regularly. Made for great video as they seemed particularly interested in one member of our group. He got the best video!
I was on the reef where they feed and went into my bc pocket to put on a close up lens
Within seconds i had a green moray around my thigh and a nurse shark investigating my pocket
I said bye bye and surfaced

Just thought I'd share as a case of freaky and unexpected things that can happen.

I don't consider that a freaky and unexpected thing - feed sharksoften enough and think they won't bite someone? I consider that an accident waiting to happen..
I know this is a controversial subject but I don't want to be anywhere near where they feed sharks or morays. I also don't want to be on a dive with lionfish spearos. I know sharks and morays have been known to challenge divers for their catch. I'm too much of a scaredy cat. :(

There is one DM here in Cozumel that is part of his show - feeding and eel and nurse shark - stupid BS and against the marine park rules but just overlooked because it keeps the clients happy...... The eel bit a customer and he's been bitten by the shark....

We have a few dive sites here that are known to have reef sharks, they come and they go - sometimes you don't see any. You are supposed to have permits to dive in that area A group of permit holders, myself included, got together to try and educate others about the site because it is becoming more popular. One suggestion is to feed the sharks so they are there more often - are we helping the sharks or helping our wallet??? I don't want any part of the feeding, it's stupid and they want it only for the pesos - false statements about the health of the sealife.......

I don't consider that a freaky and unexpected thing - feed sharksoften enough and think they won't bite someone? I consider that an accident waiting to happen..

There is one DM here in Cozumel that is part of his show - feeding and eel and nurse shark - stupid BS and against the marine park rules but just overlooked because it keeps the clients happy...... The eel bit a customer and he's been bitten by the shark....

We have a few dive sites here that are known to have reef sharks, they come and they go - sometimes you don't see any. You are supposed to have permits to dive in that area A group of permit holders, myself included, got together to try and educate others about the site because it is becoming more popular. One suggestion is to feed the sharks so they are there more often - are we helping the sharks or helping our wallet??? I don't want any part of the feeding, it's stupid and they want it only for the pesos - false statements about the health of the sealife.......
Rs daughter and family lived on Kwaj (South Pacific - Marshall Islands) for a few years. The island people would feed the sharks on the side of the island that was too rough for swimmers, to train them to stay on that side. The way she described it it sounded very rough - so maybe a good idea.

If you're comfortable sharing which dive site folks are feeding sharks I'll be happy to request to go elsewhere. :wink: All we ever see are nurse sharks these days and that's a-ok with me.

Tarponchik, I’ve never seen a lemon shark on the half dozen feeds or so I’ve watched in Nassau and Bimini. That doesn’t mean they aren’t there, I’ve just never seen them.

Kimela, I’ve been on a couple of Lion Fish spearing dives (observing, not spearing) and the most aggressive consumers of the speared Lion Fish were Nassau Groupers. Sharks do seem to love them too. I haven’t seen any Morays around when lion fish were being speared.
🐸
There were many Lemons at Tiger Beach.
51613037199_3b6ef8cd2b_o.jpg
51578381600_51a2790746_o.jpg
51571515600_79f1e936a1_o.jpg

In Tiger Beach, the situation is a bit different. When Tiger Sharks are present, you can ignore the Gray Reef, Lemon, Bull, Nurse Sharks, etc., and keep eyes on the Tiger Sharks or you’d get bump like this diver, below:

In Bimini, you can ignore the Nurse, Bull & Gray Reef Sharks (no Lemon showed up when I was there) and focus on the star of the show, Princess, the Great Hammerhead, as shown, below:

Ms. Ernst was at her most vulnerable. She most likely didn't have a mask, as she had jumped back in after shedding her gear. And she was coming up the ladder, so the attack was from the side or rear. A dive guide in the water with a mask might have seen the shark’s approach and used the usual means to divert it. Frankly, I question putting people in the water at all if treats were being thrown to the sharks nearby, but having someone standing watch seems reasonable if that’s what’s being done.
What are the usual means of diversion that you are referring to? Aren't scuba divers taught, in emergency situations, to make sure there are not two victims and make sure they are protecting themselves from injury FIRST? Can you provide a little more detail as to how you envision this to work from a practical standpoint?

Last week an acquaintance I met diving on Grand Bahama was bitten by a shark. She had removed her fins and was standing on the ladder when a shark attacked and bit her lower leg. The quick actions of the dive shop owner and his wife are credited with saving her life, but she did have to have her lower leg amputated. She was treated in a hospital on the island and then airlifted to a Miami hospital where she is having a fourth surgery tomorrow, but she is in good spirits. She frequents Grand Bahama often and had completed her 500th dive at the end of May.

The dive site they were at/near was Shark Junction. The article I linked is pretty generic about the incident, but alludes to chumming causing erratic behavior of the sharks. I dove the site several times (twice just over a year ago) and sharks are pretty much trained to come see what's going on when divers first enter the water, but then lose interest when they realize it's not a "shark dive" where they're getting fed.

You can easily find the initial reports online (not much detail - the reason I didn't link those) as well as info for a GoFundMe page (which has good info about the victim.)

Just thought I'd share as a case of freaky and unexpected things that can happen.

Hope she heals quickly. That has to be very challenging! Let her know she has support and love!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom